Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: call for unity7 testing, maintainers

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    Are you having Unity 7 in Artful?
    You can install unity7 in artful now.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install unity-session
    At the moment it is wait and see. I am hoping we will test unity-session from the universe during the 18.04 development cycle. I have been told to be patient. The devs will get back to me with a list of todos sometime. As long as unity7 does not cause problems for GNOME then it's in. If it does cause problems .. it's pulled.
    Regards..

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    At the moment it is wait and see. I am hoping we will test unity-session from the universe during the 18.04 development cycle. I have been told to be patient. The devs will get back to me with a list of todos sometime. As long as unity7 does not cause problems for GNOME then it's in. If it does cause problems .. it's pulled.
    Regards..
    So, it would be 17.10 the last one with Unity 7. I have a 17.10 Ubuntu install for testing. I'd install Unity 7 and try uninstall Gnome shell in the evening. If Unity 7 would stay in 18.04, I'd do the same thing.

Beans
    Distro

So, it would be 17.10 the last one with Unity 7. I have a 17.10 Ubuntu install for testing. I'd install Unity 7 and try uninstall Gnome shell in the evening. If Unity 7 would stay in 18.04, I'd do the same thing.
    The idea of current testing is to see how unity7 works with GNOME, GNOME which is now default desktop. Perhaps in the future you can do that but we need to monitor how it affects GNOME.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Hey so far, so good.!

http://news.softpedia.com/news/canon...t-516638.shtml

If we keep testing/contributing it may make it to the universe for 18.04 cycle. That would be awesome. Even though no new feature we would get security updates to carry it along until 2024!

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; July 27th, 2017 at 04:41 PM.

Beans

The idea of current testing is to see how unity7 works with GNOME, GNOME which is now default desktop. Perhaps in the future you can do that but we need to monitor how it affects GNOME.

Regards..
    I understand that Canonical had decided to embrace Gnome shell for Ubuntu. Like I wrote earlier, I'd keep Unity in 17.04 as a remembrance. I'd try install Unity in 17.10 later in the evening. If it works nicely, I'll uninstall Gnome shell. I'd be checking Unity working with 17.10 time to time, without that interest in Gnome.

BTW, I've been using Ubuntu 17.04 for last 9 hours and didn't have a single problem. It was snappy. Would you be able to create a group to look after Unity?

Beans
    Distro

I understand that Canonical had decided to embrace Gnome shell for Ubuntu. Like I wrote earlier, I'd keep Unity in 17.04 as a remembrance. I'd try install Unity in 17.10 later in the evening. If it works nicely, I'll uninstall Gnome shell. I'd be checking Unity working with 17.10 time to time, without that interest in Gnome.

BTW, I've been using Ubuntu 17.04 for last 9 hours and didn't have a single problem. It was snappy. Would you be able to create a group to look after Unity?
    A few weeks back..

https://launchpad.net/~unity7maintainers

It is moderated team, CoC required. I invite all to join but please do not expect too much as I am waiting on what the devs will do . Perhaps there may not be any activity there until after the release of 17.10.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

I understand that Canonical had decided to embrace Gnome shell for Ubuntu. Like I wrote earlier, I'd keep Unity in 17.04 as a remembrance. I'd try install Unity in 17.10 later in the evening. If it works nicely, I'll uninstall Gnome shell.

Let me know how it goes. I think it will cause breakage.

Regards..

Beans

Let me know how it goes. I think it will cause breakage.

Regards..
    Just installed Unity on 17.10. Before installing checked Ubuntu session. Web browser started slowly, Files too. Same web browser and same Files in 17.04. Rebooted into Unity. Logout didn't have it. Checked in Xsessions. In unity.desktop it says,

Code:
    Exec=/usr/lib/gnome-session/run-systemd-session unity-session.target
    In ubuntu.desktop, it says

Code:
    Exec=gnome-session --session=ubuntu
    So, it looks like I can uninstall as much as possible of Gnome, but can't uninstall gnome-session. I maybe wrong in my deductions.
    Anyway, Ubuntu 17.10 with Gnome is much slower than Ubuntu 17.04 with Unity. After using 17.04 for last 9 hours, using Ubuntu 17.10 is like going back in time. I use 17.10 with Openbox, and I know how fast it is. I also know how fast Xubuntu 17.10. Out of all Gnome is the slowest. Even Kubuntu 17.10 is faster. This is only the way I see or feel it.

Beans

Well, I uninstalled Gnome shell, and with it went gnome-session and gdm. Unity greeter came back, which is good. I have a DE called Unity. Files, web browser is start bit slower than in 17.04. I'll come back later. Have to do some other work.
    Last edited by Chanath; July 27th, 2017 at 06:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

we would get security updates to carry it along until 2024!
    Sorry, but Canonical does not support universe packages.

Ubuntu flavors put some effort into supporting packages shipped in their default installs but for other packages there may be no security support at all. For Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, the only non-Canonical flavor to offer more than 3 years of support is Ubuntu Kylin which was basically Ubuntu with a bit extra on top for that release. (Ubuntu Kylin 17.04 has diverged more.)

For instance I help maintain Ubuntu GNOME but I'm not really doing any updates for Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 LTS any more because it is End of Life, but I might occasionally do an update for a package that is in main if it's an important enough issue that is easy enough to fix.

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast