Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: call for unity7 testing, maintainers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: call for unity7 testing, maintainers

Greetings,
    It seems to me that the dropping of Unity as a desktop was not so much a desktop issue but a display server issue. Canonical was dropping Unity 7 anyway, aiming for Unity 8 and Mir. The object is to abandon X. Since they could not get Unity8/Mir off the launchpad the course switched to Gnome3 and Wayland. As previously noted, Unity7 has had no development for quite a few generations.
    The current state is that Unity can barely function as a "pure Unity" since there is too much embedded Gnome Wayland. Hence the various behaviors of Dash. In one instance it behaves like native Dash and the next instance it behaves like the Gnome Search. I'm not experienced in the flavors but it seems to me that if one wanted to patch in Unity it would make sense to start with Xubuntu or some other version not so much linked to Gnome/Wayland.
    Also, and I struggling to be kind about this. If it was important for Unity to be available in 18.02 then Canonical would be working to put it there. I was long mesmerized and delighted with the Unity Desktop. It was a great run. But I also know that the only thing that stays the same is everything changes.
    Best of luck to you all but I think Wayland makes it (Unity) a deal breaker. Gulp!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Dash

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Well the ones that remember may just be using 'old' info. See if anything new is added, ex. open a file in gedit, then ck. the Dash > File & Folders, should be 1st. listed.

What I see is that only transfered files will be added, ex. copy & paste a file..
    I get this..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

@mac4man

The one that has recall has the zietgiest-datahub. The one that does not have recall does not have the datahub active.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    Greetings,
    It seems to me that the dropping of Unity as a desktop was not so much a desktop issue but a display server issue. Canonical was dropping Unity 7 anyway, aiming for Unity 8 and Mir. The object is to abandon X. Since they could not get Unity8/Mir off the launchpad the course switched to Gnome3 and Wayland. As previously noted, Unity7 has had no development for quite a few generations.
    The current state is that Unity can barely function as a "pure Unity" since there is too much embedded Gnome Wayland. Hence the various behaviors of Dash. In one instance it behaves like native Dash and the next instance it behaves like the Gnome Search. I'm not experienced in the flavors but it seems to me that if one wanted to patch in Unity it would make sense to start with Xubuntu or some other version not so much linked to Gnome/Wayland.
    Also, and I struggling to be kind about this. If it was important for Unity to be available in 18.02 then Canonical would be working to put it there. I was long mesmerized and delighted with the Unity Desktop. It was a great run. But I also know that the only thing that stays the same is everything changes.
    Best of luck to you all but I think Wayland makes it (Unity) a deal breaker. Gulp!

@rrnbtter

No gulp . It is what it is. A lot of people in the community, in the pool of working volunteers, feel a deep sense
    of abandonment. We worked really hard to make this work and when they pulled it without telling the community or asking the other parts of the community what we thought, well.. it was like being thrown under the bus, so there is a lot of disharmony that was sowed by that decision. I think that eventually a lot of people will get over it. By 18.04 release we will have a better view of it all.

As always .. thanks for your most valued input.

Regards..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    @mac4man

The one that has recall has the zietgiest-datahub. The one that does not have recall does not have the datahub active.
    I'm referring to the Application and Files &Folders scopes, do you get updated "Recent"(ly) there?

screens from 16.04

Beans
    Distro

I'm referring to the Application and Files &Folders scopes, do you get updated "Recent"(ly) there?

screens from 16.04
    yep .. certainly did update .. but there is a bug in the apps window. You have to open a non used recent app for it to kick in and also you have to click the dash button to clear the dash. Once it is kicked in by the new app , it will remember.. I used gimp as I hadn't used it since last boot.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    Greetings,
    It seems to me that the dropping of Unity as a desktop was not so much a desktop issue but a display server issue. Best of luck to you all but I think Wayland makes it (Unity) a deal breaker. Gulp!
    Just my opinion .. I don't think it was an X issue. Unity7 is a great RSI and eye-strain reducer. We'll miss it when it's gone.

Regards..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    yep .. certainly did update .. but there is a bug in the apps window. You have to open a non used recent app for it to kick in and also you have to click the dash button to clear the dash. Once it is kicked in by the new app , it will remember.. I used gimp as I hadn't used it since last boot.
    I'll recheck in 17.10..

For curiosity just tried in a new 17.04 install. There no new additions to the File & Folders > Recent for any files opened in Home dir. Files opened from elsewhere show up.
    For the Applications > Recently opened nothing unless opened from outside of $HOME, like going to /usr/share/applications & opening something.
    So something started breaking down in this regard in 17.04..

Beans
    Distro

I'll recheck in 17.10..

For curiosity just tried in a new 17.04 install. There no new additions to the File & Folders > Recent for any files opened in Home dir. Files opened from elsewhere show up.
    For the Applications > Recently opened nothing unless opened from outside of $HOME, like going to /usr/share/applications & opening something.
    So something started breaking down in this regard in 17.04..
    Actually I am working on the unity-control-center file and edited in recommend 'activity-log-manager' which will bring up Privacy&Security pop as thats where zeitgiest is controlled from. If you go to settings in 17.10 you will not see P&S icon in the panel.

Beans
    Distro

@mac4man

Actually..
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install activity-log-manager
    will put the security and privacy app in settings but it will not pull in zeitgiest-datahub which means it is still not working on some installs. I have several installs on different boxes. The two installs I mention here are from USB isos and not upgrades from 17.04

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast