Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash videos not playing in Firefox or in Chromium browser in ubuntu 16.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Flash videos not playing in Firefox or in Chromium browser in ubuntu 16.04

I'm unable to see flash videos, viz. Hotstar in Firefox and/or Chromium browser. My O/S is Ubuntu 16.04 (32 bit). How to fix it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Flash videos not playing in Firefox or in Chromium browser in ubuntu 16.04

Quote Originally Posted by AnupamMitra View Post
    I'm unable to see flash videos, viz. Hotstar in Firefox and/or Chromium browser. My O/S is Ubuntu 16.04 (32 bit). How to fix it?
    Flash on linux no longer supports DRM-flash.
    (Someday, maybe it'll make it back, but currently they had to remove that support in order to update flash for linux)

Alternatives would be to try and run something like Windows Firefox in wine.
    Or any browser in a Windows virtual machine.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    (Someday, maybe it'll make it back, but currently they had to remove that support in order to update flash for linux)

Or, if you don't mind doing the work, the freshplayer plugin would work in Firefox provided you extract flash from a Chrome book image rather than using pepper flash bundled with Linux's Chrome. I have done this way back but I have forgotten the detailed steps, some trial and errors may be required. Using Windows Firefox would work, but this is not elegant. Too bad pipelight has discontinued https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplay...nown-issues.md
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 11th, 2017 at 09:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks, as advised I installed Windows Firefox in wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Or, if you don't mind doing the work, the freshplayer plugin would work in Firefox provided you extract flash from a Chrome book image rather than using pepper flash bundled with Linux's Chrome. I have done this way back but I have forgotten the detailed steps, some trial and errors may be required. Using Windows Firefox would work, but this is not elegant. Too bad pipelight has discontinued https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplay...nown-issues.md
    Thanks monkeybrain20122, I have gone through the github link. It is very interesting. I will try it later.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post

I just did it.

After running the scripts linux_recovery.sh,--which needs to be made executable,-- check for the folder tmp.chmosre or something like that in /tmp (forgot to write down the exact name) The chromebook recovery image is the .bin file, copy it somewhere in $HOME. To mount the image and extract flash, need to install kpartx from the repo, see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...recovery-image

Tested with the adobe DRM test, perfect playback.
    link to test page.

video for test http://drmtest2.adobe.com:8080/Content/anonymous.f4v

For some reason cut and paste doesn't work on the test page. so need to type in the test video's url manually.

The flash version is just a little behind (45 instead of 46) but it should work fine. One needs to update flash from an up to date chromebook recovery image from time to time.

It is actually quite simple. If anyone needs help I can post detailed instructions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 22nd, 2017 at 11:46 PM.

Beans

Hello, I was dealing with this issue for a long time, I would really appreciate if you can make a detailed guide (please!)
    Thanks in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 77oma View Post
    Hello, I was dealing with this issue for a long time, I would really appreciate if you can make a detailed guide (please!)
    Thanks in advance.
    Hi, here is the step by step.

install freshplayerplugin from the webupd8 ppa

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install freshplayerplugin

Restart firefox, check your flash version by going to Tools > Addons > Plugins, it should be 26

install kpartx, it will be needed to mount the chromeos image later

Code:
    sudo apt install kpartx
    To get flash from a ChromeOS recovery image. Download this script. Make it executable (right click, Properties > Permissions check allow execute as program) run it as normal user, let's say you download the script to your home, in the terminal
    Code:
    ./linux_recovery.sh
    choose a recovery image, ZAKO would work (say it is #135, enter 135 after the prompt)

The script will run and then complain that there is no usb drive plugged in. just kill it.
    Then navigate inside /tmp (open file manager, choose computer in the side pane, then find the tmp folder) to find a folder called crosre.tmp or something like that. Open it, copy the .bin file to somewhere in $HOME. This is the recovery image.

To mount the recovery image

Code:
    sudo kpartx -av /path/to/bin/file
    It will print out a lot of partitions like

Code:
    add map loop7p1 (253:0): 0 28672 linear 7:7 2928640
    add map loop7p2 (253:1): 0 32768 linear 7:7 20480
    add map loop7p3 (253:2): 0 2641920 linear 7:7 286720
    add map loop7p4 (253:3): 0 32768 linear 7:7 53248
    add map loop7p5 (253:4): 0 4096 linear 7:7 282624
    add map loop7p6 (253:5): 0 1 linear 7:7 16448
    add map loop7p7 (253:6): 0 1 linear 7:7 16449
    add map loop7p8 (253:7): 0 32768 linear 7:7 86016
    add map loop7p9 (253:8): 0 1 linear 7:7 16450
    add map loop7p10 (253:9): 0 1 linear 7:7 16451
    add map loop7p11 (253:10): 0 16384 linear 7:7 64
    add map loop7p12 (253:11): 0 32768 linear 7:7 249856
    You need the third one (corresponds to "ROOT" shown in file manager
    To mount it (it doesn't open in file manager)

create a directory in your home to mount the image

Code:
    mkdir mnt
    mount the image to mnt
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ext2 /dev/mapper/loop7p3 -o ro  ~/mnt

navigate to mnt, now you will see the content of the partition you just mounted

inside mnt, navigate to /opt/google/chrome/pepper/, libpepflashplayer.so is the flash that you need. Create a folder in your home called PepperFlash (say) then copy libpepflashplayer.so there

to unmount

Code:
    sudo umount ~/mnt
    and

Code:
    sudo kpartx -dv /path/to/bin/file
    Now we need to configure freshplayerplugin to use ChromeOS' flash. Let's create a .conf file for freshplayerplugin. When you installed freshplayerplugin, it installed a template for the config file, copy it to ~/.config, change the name by dropping .example

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/doc/browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash/freshwrapper.conf.example ~/.config/freshwrapper.conf

cd ~/.config
    sudo chown  yourusername freshwrapper.conf

gedit freshwrapper.conf

Now edit freshwrapper.conf

in line 40, remove the # in front, and change pepperflash_path to the path where you put libpepflashplayer.so, in our example, it is in /home/yourusername/PepperFlash, so change this line to
    Code:
    pepperflash_path = "/home/yourusername/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so"
    then in line 46, change enable_3d to = 1

Save your edit.

Now restart Firefox and go to here to do the adobe drm test

video for test http://drmtest2.adobe.com:8080/Content/anonymous.f4v

Somehow cut and paste doesn't work on the test page,type in the test video's url manually.
    The flash version from the ChromeOS recovery image is a bit behind, if you right click on a flash video it will show 25 even though Firefox's plugin page reports it as 26.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 14th, 2017 at 05:15 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AnupamMitra View Post
    Thanks, as advised I installed Windows Firefox in wine.
    What's the how-to for installing this?

Why is it still listed as if it works, then?
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/

EDIT: Oh, 'DRM-Flash?'

Beans

Should I follow this?:
    https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmA_Rug8koU

Then install Firefox (for Windows)? (Don't know how yet, though).

Is this method easier than the 'freshplayer plugin (install) way?;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast