Thread: GNU rescue mode after deleting partition

Beans

GNU rescue mode after deleting partition

Hello!
    I have a problem. I had a dual boot setup windows 7/ Linux mint. I needed to get rid of the Linux partition so I created a system image USB but screwed up in the process. I deleted the linux partition and my USB did not work. I am stuck with GNU rescue on boot up. Is it possible to boot back into Windows with out reinstalling it completely?
    Last edited by alexk12; June 8th, 2017 at 04:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: GNU rescue mode after deleting partition

Moved to Windows

Seems you need to fix Windows bootloader now.
    If you created or have access to a Windows install or recovery disk, that would help.
    You might be able to fix it with boot repair, but I'm not sure.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Re: GNU rescue mode after deleting partition

It seems you didn't understand how your system booted and thus did your steps backward. If you wanted to get rid of Mint and keep windows, the last thing you do is delete the Mint partition as it has boot files on it and you were almost certainly booting both Mint and windows with the Mint bootloader. It is possible to boot both with the windows bcdedit but it is a rather cumbersome process.

So, as suggested above, what you should have done in your scenario is to first install windows code to the MBR (if you have the default windows 7 MBR install) and reboot to verify that the windows booted and then dlelete the Mint partition. If you do have the windows 7 installation DVD, it is a simple process of using the Repair option and typing in simple commands to repair the MBR. If you don't have it, you should be able to find some windows software you can download to do this.