Thread: Canon pixma MX922 scanner drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Canon pixma MX922 scanner drivers

Ubuntu Studio 16.04.2
    I just installed Canon Pixma MX922 All-in-one. The printer part works using CUPS driver and the TurboPrint drivers, quality is not bad. The issue is with the scanner part. Xsane stops with a warning
    to open device 'pixma:MX922_192.168.0.104':Invalid arugument.
    Where can the proper drivers be found?

Thanks

Paul
    Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia K4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS LWKS 14.0, Lightworks Keyboard

Beans
    Distro

Re: Canon pixma MX922 scanner drivers

Hell o anyone out there??
    Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia K4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS LWKS 14.0, Lightworks Keyboard

Beans

sorry to hear of your problems;

open-source scanning is driven by SANE; and their website says support for your 920 series Canon is good; that is hardly any comfort to you; the command of
    Code:
    lsusb
    in a terminal should say
    Code:
     04a9:176b Canon
    what do the commands

Code:
    sane-find-scanner
    and
    Code:
    scanimage -L
    give please: if you can copy and paste the results back here

_______

I suggested to a recent post that they join the mailing-list for SANE; to seek help there; they were recommended to install the latest version of sane; one can get it from here https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+a...buntu/sane-git and the commands there are

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rolfbensch/sane-git
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    and then the proposed update should show up in your software notification icon;

your MX920 series gets mention in /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules as
    Code:
    # Canon PIXMA MX920 Series
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="176b", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
    which is as it should be

Beans
    Distro

Canon advertises this unit as wireless printer and scanner, that is why it was bought to share with a number of computers.
    guess I forgot to mention that in my first mail.

Beans
    Distro

Got it working sort of.

the
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rolfbensch/sane-git
    etc. did the trick.
    Now to find out how to get the proper colour balance white paper is scanned and printed as grey.
    Thanks

Paul

Beans

Re: Canon pixma MX922 scanner drivers latest SANE from Rolf Bensch works well

glad to hear it is working Paul; and good to hear updating works; thanks for details of wireless connection; for anyone else following, Canon offer this how-to for setting up a wireless connection http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consu...nection_setup/

I think I could also comment that scanning on Canon MF devices is easier than others: eg Epson and Brother;

I wonder if you have xsane installed;
    how to get the proper colour balance
    as a front-end to drive the scanner: install with
    Code:
    sudo apt install xsane
    and you can tweak its settings to your heart's content

Beans
    Distro

Re: Canon pixma MX922 scanner drivers latest SANE from Rolf Bensch works well

Quote Originally Posted by pdc View Post
    glad to hear it is working Paul; and good to hear updating works; thanks for details of wireless connection; for anyone else following, Canon offer this how-to for setting up a wireless connection http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consu...nection_setup/

I think I could also comment that scanning on Canon MF devices is easier than others: eg Epson and Brother;

I wonder if you have xsane installed; as a front-end to drive the scanner: install with
    Code:
    sudo apt install xsane
    and you can tweak its settings to your heart's content
    I have xsane there must be an ICC that will get a white background when a pice of white paper is scanned.

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pdc View Post
    I think I have a solution. I had a couple ICC from Staples for their their gloss and super matte. I scanned aRGB colour wheel and the scanner picture was close to the original..
    I mark this thread as solved.

Thanks everyone