Thread: HWE support LTS

Beans

HWE support LTS

Server Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.19.0-25-generic x86_64) (full apt update and upgrade except distro) showed on reboot:
    WARNING: Security updates for your current Hardware Enablement Stack
    ended on 2016-08-04:
    * http://wiki.ubuntu.com/1404_HWE_EOL
    but the wiki page shows support until April 2019 with the Xenial 4.4 kernel, so as per wiki:
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-xenial
    Done... but inxi -Fx still showing after reboot:
    System: Host: server4 Kernel: 3.19.0-25-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Console: tty 0 Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
    Any thoughts or suggestions, please
    Note: all my other servers are 16.04, but I just need this one for legacy MySQL 5.5 reasons.
    Thanks -- paul

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: HWE support LTS

* You are affected if it shows a kernel with the following version: 3.16 or 3.19 or 4.2
    * You are not affected if it shows a kernel with the following version: 3.13 or 4.4

This method does not check for a HWE graphics stack. However, you cannot get a HWE graphics stack without a corresponding HWE kernel unless you've done things manually. Note that such a combination (HWE graphics with non-HWE kernel) is not supported.

Code:
    hwe-support-status --show-all-unsupported
    Upgrading the kernel shouldn't change much for you unless you are using the AMD and fglrx drivers

So there will be no more updates to the 3.19 kernel as 15.04 is EOL (No longer supported)

So to upgrade the kernel I usually run this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-xenial linux-generic-lts-xenial
    Or:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-signed-generic-lts-xenial linux-signed-image-generic-lts-xenial
    Last edited by 1fallen; June 1st, 2017 at 04:13 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Re: HWE support LTS

Thank you for replying. I have tried your suggestions, which are variants of what I had already tried, but this server (14.04.5 LTS) still uses "uname -r 3.19.0-25-generic". Maybe I've traced this to grub.

The "upgrade" to a Xenial-based 4.4 kernel does install it to /boot but gives the following:
    /.../
    Replacing config file /run/grub/menu.lst with new version
    But the write to grub is failing (ignored, whatever):
    cat: /run/grub/menu.lst: No such file or directory
    I'm guessing this is a bug, there is no mention of grub in syslog or boot.log -- on a desktop you might see grub, on a rack-mount server through ssh it's invisible.
    Again thanks -- paul