Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gt 1030

Beans

Gt 1030

Hi, i have a hard time finding any info about support for this card since its pretty new.

I just bought a Nvidia GT1030
    Is this card supporterd by Ubuntu 16.04.x?

I do not want to use properity drivers, id rather have opensource drivers since i had bad experience with prop drivers.

Will I have to wait before i install this card?

Current setup:
    i5 4590 using integrated HD4600.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Gt 1030

Did you see this.
    MSI GeForce GT 1030: A $70 Passively-Cooled Graphics Card, Decent With OpenGL/Vulkan/OpenCL/VDPAU
    Compare integrated HD Graphics 630, other nVidia & Radeon on i7-7700K box running Ubuntu 17.04 x86_64
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...rce-1030&num=1

But I think to take advantage of any newer video card you have to use the proprietary driver. It takes a while before the open source drivers include new features for new cards. Most vendors do not open up on details to help the developers.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I do not want to use proprietary drivers, I'd rather have opensource drivers
    The open source nouveau driver only has very basic support (no support to run at anything other than minimum clocks, no video decode acceleration) for GTX 900/1000 cards. It's not really an option until nvidia releases all of the necessary signed firmware blobs.

As for the proprietary driver, I don't think Ubuntu 16.04 has the needed nvidia 381.22 driver available in the standard repo(s). You would need to use: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa

Beans

So i would add this PPA and then it would find drivers in additional drivers?

I tried yesterday, and you are right, No add drivers found at all.

Beans

No you would add the PPA and install the appropriate driver in synaptic. "nvidia-381" or something like that.

Beans

You dont have a card to recommend that will do full HEVC (x265) support without having to add untrusted PPA's?

Beans

You already bought the card and added the PPA. All you have to do is:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-381
    Don't make it more difficult than it has to be.

Beans

ive tried this now, yea GPU works great.

Having problems though~ Some hevc files plays using "HW acceleration" but most still uses SW encoding.

"Using X.Org X Server - Nouveau display driver from xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (open source)"
    ^
    is what is marked as driver atm

should i use

"Nvidia binary driver version 384.47 from nvidia-384 (open source)"

instead?
    Last edited by puffomon; July 18th, 2017 at 01:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Did you reboot after installing nvidia-381 (which I am using for my GTX 1060)? The newest version in the ppa is nvidia-384. But whatever showed "Using X.Org X Server - Nouveau display driver from xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (open source)" means that you were not using nvidia drivers yet at that time. I don't know what hevc is, so I cannot answer if or how well that works.

You may also want to install mesa-utils which includes glxinfo to provide details of current graphics drivers being used, and glxgears just to test if graphics is working properly. For example once nvidia drivers are installed and operational glxinfo will show in part (but your GT 1030 and nvidia version):
    Code:
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    server glx version string: 1.4
    OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB/PCIe/SSE2
    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 381.22
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50 NVIDIA
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans

I tried every drivers from 381 and up, i had hw acceleration only on some x265 files. Drivers was loaded, also had Nvidia control panel, that told me HEVC was supported.
    X264 workd fine with vpdau. I

However, the PC randomly froze, and it even restarted once, very unstable system. I wouldnt recommend this ppa and this card to anyone.

So i removed everything and now im back to intel gpu.
    Last edited by puffomon; July 18th, 2017 at 11:07 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast