Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gt 1030

Beans

Re: Gt 1030

Hi,

Ubuntu 16.04 supposedly has 384.90 which is more recent than 381, but the card is detected as a standard VGA card, so no 1080p, no HW acceleration, nothing. Once again, I'm disappointed. It is now most of the times I buy something, I'm super disappointed and frustrated when trying it on Linux. Even if I search before, nothing seems to work because every device has minor or major issues, so I just cannot get things sorted out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The nVidia driver is not installed by default.
    If you want the current nVidia included with Ubuntu version, you just need to install it from either command line or from System Settings, Software & Updates, Additional drivers tab.
    Or add the ppa and all the even newer nVidia drivers will be shown.

Do not install directly from nVidia as driver is not reconfigured for Ubuntu, just a generic Linux driver.
    And always purge one driver before installing another or you get conflicts. The nVidia driver does not un-install previous driver.

#What is installed
    dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia
    dkms status
    lsmod | grep nvidia
    # Shows standard repository versions, which is the same as
    System Settings, Software & Updates icon, Additional drivers tab
    ubuntu-drivers devices
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

sudo apt-get install nvidia-384 solved it. By default, Ubuntu installs the 340 driver when using the "proprietary drivers" GUI. Installing nvidia-384 removed nvidia-340 and after a reboot, I got 1080p.

Beans

Is gt1030 supported by Ubuntu 18.04 nowdays? w/o adding ppa's?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by puffomon View Post
    Is gt1030 supported by Ubuntu 18.04 nowdays? w/o adding ppa's?
    Yes, just install the nvidia-driver-390 package
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

I ment if Ubuntu has its own drivers in "software and updates", i dont like using closed drivers from Nvidia that crashes everytime Linux updates its kernels.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Each version of Ubuntu has the default nVidia drivers that was available when Ubuntu version was finalized.
    There is then the ppa that has modified/compiled the nVidia drivers to be just like if they were in the repository.
    And we do not recommend the direct download from nVidia A .run file, as then you have to update with each kernel release.

Instructions are newest driver for newest cards, must load legacy driver if old nVidia card.
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/08/u...ady-for-action
    Details on why and future incorporation to Ubuntu installer
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...st/004693.html
    # Shows standard repository versions, which is the same as
    System Settings, Software & Updates icon, Additional drivers tab
    ubuntu-drivers devices
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by puffomon View Post
    I meant if Ubuntu has its own drivers in "software and updates". I don't like using closed drivers from Nvidia that crash every time Ubuntu updates its kernels.
    Ubuntu doesn't make its own drivers. It packages the proprietary nvidia drivers. Ubuntu 18.04 has the 390.48 driver, which supports the GT1030.

Open-source nouveau drivers are still a no go for getting any sort of decent performance.

Beans

Hey,

i'm thinking of getting this GPU. I don't need it for gaming, i'm just wondering if someone is using it in 4K on Ubuntu 18.04 or later, how's the performance, does the UI seems fluid, does it seem like desktop programs and browser animations are running smoothly at 4k@60HZ?

Beans

4K is 3840x2160 pix

A GT1030 can output 7680x4320 pix

That makes it 5K capable

and no I don't own one

annnd welcome to the forum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast