Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Looking for ppa that supports GLSL1.30 or later

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    203
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Looking for ppa that supports GLSL1.30 or later

    I am trying to run Stellarium on Ubuntu 16.04.

    But it says that it needs GLSL (GL Shading Language) 1.30 or later (and OpenGL 2.1 or later).

    The standard install is no good.

    I looked at the list of ppas (and guessed that I should search for "mesa")
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas?name_filter=mesa

    That gives me 210 possibilities.

    I have tried
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
    and
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates
    but they don't have the version I need of GLSL.

    Does anyone know of a ppa that supports GLSL 1.3?
    I have a Toshiba Satellite C50D laptop with 3.4 GB of RAM and (AMD E1-1200 APU @ 1.4 GHz with Radeon HD Graphics) x 2 processor; (older posts refer to 8.04, 9.10, 12.04 on this or other hardware).

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    7,247

    Re: Looking for ppa that supports GLSL1.30 or later

    Hmm - how did you determine that the standard installation is "no good"? here's what I get on my 16.04 box:

    Code:
    $ DISPLAY=:0 glxinfo | grep -i version
    server glx version string: 1.4
    client glx version string: 1.4
    GLX version: 1.4
        Version: 12.0.6
        Max core profile version: 3.3
        Max compat profile version: 3.0
        Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
        Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.0
    OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 12.0.6
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
    (you may need to install the mesa-utils package to get glxinfo)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    3,977

    Re: Looking for ppa that supports GLSL1.30 or later

    Quote Originally Posted by desconocido View Post
    I am trying to run Stellarium on Ubuntu 16.04.

    But it says that it needs GLSL (GL Shading Language) 1.30 or later (and OpenGL 2.1 or later).

    The standard install is no good.

    I looked at the list of ppas (and guessed that I should search for "mesa")
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas?name_filter=mesa

    That gives me 210 possibilities.

    I have tried
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
    and
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates
    but they don't have the version I need of GLSL.

    Does anyone know of a ppa that supports GLSL 1.3?

    What is your graphic card? If it is too old the hardware just doesn't support OpenGL 2.1 or later newer drivers won't help

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    203
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Looking for ppa that supports GLSL1.30 or later

    Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    Hmm - how did you determine that the standard installation is "no good"? here's what I get on my 16.04 box:
    And this is mine:


    Code:
    $ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL"
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2
    OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 12.0.6
    OpenGL extensions:
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 2.0 Mesa 12.0.6
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0.16
    OpenGL ES profile extensions:
    Last edited by desconocido; May 27th, 2017 at 02:22 PM. Reason: showed current rather default glxinfo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    203
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Looking for ppa that supports GLSL1.30 or later

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    What is your graphic card? If it is too old the hardware just doesn't support OpenGL 2.1 or later newer drivers won't help
    I am considering installing Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on a variety of machines, so I am trying it out on an old laptop first.

    This is a Gateway ML6226b with 1 MB of RAM and
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    The processor is a Celeron 520 running at 1.60 GHz.

    The install went fine and I have brought it up to date with Software Updater.

    Running from the terminal as
    LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 stellarium
    works, but slowly, a bit more slowly than I care for.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    16,927

    Re: Looking for hardware that supports GLSL1.30 or later

    Quote Originally Posted by desconocido View Post
    I am considering installing Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on a variety of machines, so I am trying it out on an old laptop first.

    This is a Gateway ML6226b with 1 MB of RAM and
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    The processor is a Celeron 520 running at 1.60 GHz.

    The install went fine and I have brought it up to date with Software Updater.

    Running from the terminal as
    LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 stellarium
    works, but slowly, a bit more slowly than I care for.
    That hardware only supports OpenGL 1.4, no software is going to change that. So what you see as far as performance now is as good as it'll get

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    203
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Looking for hardware that supports GLSL1.30 or later

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    That hardware only supports OpenGL 1.4, no software is going to change that. So what you see as far as performance now is as good as it'll get
    OK. My main laptop is a dual core
    Code:
    AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics × 2
    What's my chances of running it on that?
    I have a Toshiba Satellite C50D laptop with 3.4 GB of RAM and (AMD E1-1200 APU @ 1.4 GHz with Radeon HD Graphics) x 2 processor; (older posts refer to 8.04, 9.10, 12.04 on this or other hardware).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    203
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Looking for hardware that supports GLSL1.30 or later

    Quote Originally Posted by desconocido View Post
    OK. My main laptop is a dual core
    Code:
    AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics × 2
    What's my chances of running it on that?
    I tried it. It works and is just fast enough.

    It's not as fast or smooth as the old version of Stellarium I was running on Ubuntu 12.04 on this machine.
    I have a Toshiba Satellite C50D laptop with 3.4 GB of RAM and (AMD E1-1200 APU @ 1.4 GHz with Radeon HD Graphics) x 2 processor; (older posts refer to 8.04, 9.10, 12.04 on this or other hardware).

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •