Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Best Linux browser

Beans

Re: Best Linux browser

My ancient DelI 32 bit laptop was running Lubuntu with Firefox 57 until I got sick of the slow responses, researched the subject to discover Mozilla had admitted that there was a 'busyness' problem, so did a test install of Flashpeak Slimjet.

The busyness ( CPU activity without any web searching ) dropped to about half.

Yesterday I upgraded to Firefox 58, and the busyness is reduced, probably to a workable level, but Slimjet is still noticeably faster.
    I will continue to alternate between the two browsers and see if F58 improves, but my current goto for web browsing is Slimjet.

John

Beans

FF is a hog. Besides after transition to Quantum my favourite addons dont work. Welcome to FireChrome 57. Fortunately we have Pale Moon.
    Chrome no longer supports 32bit. Fortunately we have Chromium, Slimjet, Vivaldi. Google doesnt want us to use some extensions. Fortunately we can use Opera extensions in Chrom*.
    Last edited by m666; January 26th, 2018 at 10:10 AM.

Beans

I will vote for TOR browser it doing the job for what i used it for.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use the Chrome Browser and the reason why is it makes it easy to go from distor to distor or computer to computer and all my setting, apps, extensions, login, passwords, go with me. I can do a fresh install of any OS, install Chrome and all my programs and I am back running. I keep all my files in the clouds, so I just log in to Dropbox, everything syncs.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    I use the Chrome Browser and the reason why is it makes it easy to go from distor to distor or computer to computer and all my setting, apps, extensions, login, passwords, go with me. I can do a fresh install of any OS, install Chrome and all my programs and I am back running. I keep all my files in the clouds, so I just log in to Dropbox, everything syncs.
    Opera an Firefox can do sync as well.

I store my 200+ passwords in LastPass, it allows me to use my passwords on any device, any system, in any browser.
    I backup my 400+ bookmarks to html file and send it to my email box.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sp40140 View Post
    Browsers are not Linux based. Browsers are browsers.
    As to which one is better... It depends on your use and your priorities.
    For example, I use Firefox generally with few privacy oriented extensions. And for some specific sites I use Vivaldi and for some others I use chrome.
    There are lot more browsers out there today, you try many and use what fits your needs.
    I am also using firefox and I am quite satisfied with it. Just one question: when do you use Vivaldi and for what reasons exactly? Is it better for some cases?

Beans

Firefox Quantum runs fine and quick on my Broadwell based notebook. Balancing between privacy, performance and memory usage, FF Quantum is right now the best IMO.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    That is true though I just take and move the .mozilla folder and that's it. The results are the same.

Beans

Firefox Quantum 59.0.1, with Chromium as backup browser.
    In Firefox I have very few extensions loaded (uget-integrator, https everywhere, adblock), is synced, and use pocket.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678