Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Linux browser

Beans

Re: Best Linux browser

I am currently using Elementary as I errrr somewhat patiently what for Ubuntu 17.10, I dumped the default browser and tried Firefox and I swear I could just about cook toast on the laptop after a short time. I deleted FF and installed Brave and the laptop runs nice and cool now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb42 View Post
    ... I ... tried Firefox and I swear I could just about cook toast on the laptop after a short time. ...
    I don't see that at all! For me, Firefox and Google Chrome run equally competently.

Beans

A year ago I would agree with you vasa1 , Firefox was my favourite browser but over the last year something seem to have gone wrong with it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb42 View Post
    A year ago I would agree with you vasa1 , Firefox was my favourite browser but over the last year something seem to have gone wrong with it.
    • Well, they went with " Multiprocess Windows" sometime ago. It's possible that that added some overhead.
    • Since I don't have a GPU, I've also disabled hardware acceleration. I don't know if that helps.
    • I've used CSS to turn off some fancy effects on web pages that I suspect could cause needless CPU activity (and so lead to heating).
    • I use ublock origin to keep scripts and non-essential stuff to a minimum.
    • I keep extensions to a minimum.

But I do this on both browsers and have been doing so for at least a couple of years.

Beans

I have just done a Mint build on a Dell Inspiron with only Intel Graphics. The default Firefox again warms up the laptop quite a bit where as with Brave which I have installed the laptop runs cool. Firefox has no extensions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Chrome.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoss View Post
    Hello all, I was wonder what Linux browser do you consider the best, I use Google Chrome at the moment?
    I also use Chrome Web Browser.

Beans

I personally prefer Chromium and use that with the pepperflash plugin. it's still really down to personal choice.

For future reference, nobody can be sure as the demise of flash is imminent. HTML5 is becoming the new standard.

try the following webpage for direct comparison of HTML5 playback features and performance.

Beans

Firefox.

I've always liked FF, and for the last two years I've been using a Chromebook where Chrome is the only browser option available. I'm glad to have some options now .

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast