Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had a shocking moment with Linux in a while (in almost after dozen months)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Had a shocking moment with Linux in a while (in almost after dozen months)

Installed Elementary OS (for first time), did regular stuff like update and all, and all of a sudden top application/indicator bar disappeared. I almost didn't notice this as this was first time I even saw elementary on any computer. Of course I solved the issue with lot of help from documentations and problem threads.

But

I was so used to having everything working fine out of the box for Ubuntu and Mint that this kind of came as "Wake up call" maybe?

Purpose of this thread is not to dis any distro or OS, as I'm liking this Elementary thing quite a lot and will probably stick with it for a long time as one of the main OS. Just wanted to say this somewhere that this can happen "occasionally" and suddenly even that geeky little soul in you can get little shock....
    Last edited by QIII; May 18th, 2017 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Title cleanup -- keep it family friendly
    Please mark the thread as ''solved'' if your query has been resolved.
    How to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

Re: Had a shocking moment with Linux in a while (in almost after dozen months)

Hey LastDino,

I guess I've been fortunate I installed Manjaro and right out of the box it has worked without any problems.

The terminal and repository are very different then what I have been used to using with Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

My first rolling Linux distro and I'm sure I'll experience a shock or two.

It's pretty cool.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    Hey LastDino,

I guess I've been fortunate I installed Manjaro and right out of the box it has worked without any problems.

The terminal and repository are very different then what I have been used to using with Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

My first rolling Linux distro and I'm sure I'll experience a shock or two.

It's pretty cool.
    I've tried Manjaro in the past (1 year ago), but the spin that I was using is not supported anymore. Manjaro is fairly stable imo, and has a good forum as well.

Their Deepin spin looks interesting, might give it a shot in future.

Beans

Hey LastDino,

This is the version I installed Manjaro Linux 17.0.1 "Gellivara" uses the Linux49 kernel which is the stable one and therefore recommended and the forum looks to be good.

I have always read horror stories about Arch Linux and then saw a lot of good things about Manjaro being a user friendly Linux distro based on Arch so figured I give it a try.

Biggest issue I have found is the difference in terminal commands although I figure that will come with more use of the terminal.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hey LastDino,

This is the version I installed Manjaro Linux 17.0.1 "Gellivara" uses the Linux49 kernel which is the stable one and therefore recommended and the forum looks to be good.

I have always read horror stories about Arch Linux and then saw a lot of good things about Manjaro being a user friendly Linux distro based on Arch so figured I give it a try.

Biggest issue I have found is the difference in terminal commands although I figure that will come with more use of the terminal.
    Aye, yes. Manjaro team tests these packages before releasing for use and that helps the stability more. I'm not entirely all gong-ho about "Bleeding edge" and it takes just couple of weeks, so worth the try.

And yes, command line is something you will have to get used to by experience and time. Good luck with your journey

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Hey LastDino,

I have used Arch (Real Arch not arch based) as my daily driver for about 2 years now...With no Horror Stories to report.
    I actually run with the testing repos active, All pretty stable. (For Me...Others may vary)
    But you will find the terminal commands will become second nature in a very short time.
    I see there are more Developers/Maintainers out there now that are making GUI Installs for Arch Based Distros
    Cheers poorguy have some fun.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    I have used Arch (Real Arch not arch based) as my daily driver for about 2 years now...With no Horror Stories to report.
    I actually run with the testing repos active, All pretty stable. (For Me...Others may vary)
    But you will find the terminal commands will become second nature in a very short time.
    I see there are more Developers/Maintainers out there now that are making GUI Installs for Arch Based Distros
    Cheers poorguy have some fun.
    I never successfully managed to install Arch on my hardware when I had my first encounter with it. That was probably still lot early for me, but even now I feel that it might prove to be little too much for me. Even though it provides lot of enviable things for its users.

Beans

I figure this would be a good place to start for learning Arch.
    I remember when I jumped up and tried openSuse Leap man talk about a lost soul I really discovered what not for novice users means.
    A little wiser now I think.

(@1fallen)
    I am having fun learning by using.

Linux keeps my Little Grey Cells Active the ones I still have left.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I think the least not for new users is gentoo, I installed it and got it going several years ago but it was a pain compiling each package as you installed or updated it, my computer worked very hard, and most of the time it took all night to compile and install, but it was a learning experience, I guess what I learned was to stay with Ubuntu in the end.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; May 19th, 2017 at 03:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I figure this would be a good place to start for learning Arch.
    I remember when I jumped up and tried openSuse Leap man talk about a lost soul I really discovered what not for novice users means.
    A little wiser now I think.
    Yes a perfect place to start ...I must confess I have not touched OpenSuse for about 8 or more years now...But I first cut my teeth with Linux and Novel Suse.
    (@1fallen)
    I am having fun learning by using.

Linux keeps my Little Grey Cells Active the ones I still have left.
    Super Glad your having fun in the process.
    It dose keep the Grey Matter active to be sure.
    @ Both of you Enjoy!!
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast