Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ubuntu Desktop Team Wants YOUR Feedback Via Survey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The Ubuntu Desktop Team Wants YOUR Feedback Via Survey

This is pretty exciting, all users of Ubuntu have the opportunity to influence the decision of what extensions go into Ubuntu 17.10 using Gnome Desktop, I am running it now as stock Gnome Desktop on 17.10 and it is not to bad, just took a little getting use too, but I am sure it can be much better with extensions, this is the perfect time for all the Ubuntu users to have their say, if you want to have a voice go to:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/05/u...ns-survey-1710

Scroll down the page and take the survey and make your voice count, many of the extension will be to make the Gnome Desktop more like Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: The Ubuntu Desktop Team Wants YOUR Feedback Via Survey

I just took the survey and let my voice be heard.

Beans

What happens to Ubuntu's polish theming? Gnome shell out of the box looks ugly as hell and the pitcures looks like Fedora. I think adding extensions is rather trivial so if it is just about what extensions to include this is rather disappointing. How about asking which features users would like to see incorporated in Ubuntu's default DE? Maybe then new extensions will be written even if it is not realistic to implement them in 17.10 it is still a good guideline to go by. Also GS has some intrinsic limitations such as glitchy graphic and buggy multiple display, I think these issues should be raised in the 17.10 cycle so that hopefully there are some solutions by the time of 18.04 LTS, cosmetic changes aside GS is poor in terms of performance.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 18th, 2017 at 06:44 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

but yes, really as some commenter says, why not go with cinnamon for desktop/extension? join forces with mint devs. it could benefit both.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The Ubuntu Desktop Team Wants YOUR Feedback Via Survey
    Not sure where your post is on topic with this title.

This thread is meant to be positive and informative, I think it is a step in the right direction in asking for our feedback and should be considered a good thing so please let this be a positive experience as it is intended to be.

There are plenty of other threads to address your concerns or opinions in, this one clearly is not asking for those here, if you want to cast your vote please do so at the link in the first post and discussion of your preferences for the extensions being given as choices are very much welcome.
    Thanks
    Last edited by wildmanne39; May 18th, 2017 at 05:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

A survey is a positive first step. I took the survey a couple days ago.

For a better look at a decent Gnome3 desktop, check out Antergos. A person could take some notes on what Antergos has done and apply that to the stock Gnome (e.g., such things as enabling min/max buttons).
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans

Antergos looks good. I appreciate ubuntu wanting feedback.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I understand System76 is designing their own spin of the Ubuntu-Gnome desktop. Of my 4 pc's, 2 are System76 so I'm looking forward to see that spin. Wondering if that will be in their PPA and available for non-System76 users alike????
    Last edited by Geoffrey_Arndt; May 19th, 2017 at 05:24 AM. Reason: typo
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I looked at Antergos, it looks very nice, I am trying to install virtualbox so I can take it for a spin and see how the gnome desktop works with it, but I am running 17.10 and I hit a snag, I will try again tomorrow when I have more time.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I think this is, a very optimistic representation for the future the Ubuntu Desktop by the Ubuntu devs, through requesting Ubuntu users to participate in the design of the new Ubuntu desktop. There is a lot that can be read into this action, that favours well for how they intend to manage the new desktop.

It shows to me, most importantly, that there is a commitment to the users' needs and wants with the desktop and is the beginning of what will silence those who so thinly veil, their attempts to spin tales of all sorts of catastrophic happenings, because of Canonical dropping Unity DE.

If, I get the new senior's residence I want, I am going to buy a System76 laptop (it will be my first so, I am going to be asking questions here now doubt, about how to do this or that with such and such), as I won't have a big office to play with desktops, as I do now.

Upon reading the articles about Gnome Team, reaching out to System76 to participate upstream in the Gnome3 DE and how the System76 CEO of the company is saying that his company is pleased about the outreach and that they intend to work with the Gnome Team, with helping to develop upstream and also that they are also going to be adding to their rendition of the Ubuntu Desktop (Ubuntu Gnome3) with some special branding for customers, (which I expect will all be open-sourced too), excites me.

I apologize, for this is off-theme thread discourse. I didn't vote. I don't know what Unity is like, to suggest for a Gnome3 experience, that users of Unity might prefer, nor do I know anything about Gnome3 and its extension possibilities, that can be done solely in their own right, for an enhanced Gnome3 experience.

I am just very pleased, to read what was said in these articles versus, all the other stuff that has been written over the weeks, since the announcement by Mark of having to drop Unity, as Ubuntu's official desktop.

Exciting times, as usual with Ubuntu!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast