Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen what MS is up to?

Beans

Re: Has anyone seen what MS is up to?

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Don't fall off your chairs, but after the next Windows 10 upgrade in the fall, guess what is going to be available to install in the "windows store"? (that's where you get apps in windows 10):
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/hell-...e-515638.shtml
    What is the big deal? There was a thing called Wubi a few years ago which did exactly that, to install Ubuntu in Windows as a kind of enticement when it was not very well known. But Ubuntu has outgrown it long ago, now if ones want Ubuntu why would he/she wants the Windows overhead?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    ... now if ones want Ubuntu why would he/she wants the Windows overhead?
    I cam across a link which claims that several PC makers have restricted availability of low-cost PCs without any commercial OS. Unfortunately, I cannot post that link here because it also has content that may not be appropriate for this forum. The author is calling for antitrust action.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    What is the big deal? There was a thing called Wubi a few years ago which did exactly that, to install Ubuntu in Windows as a kind of enticement when it was not very well known. But Ubuntu has outgrown it long ago, now if ones want Ubuntu why would he/she wants the Windows overhead?
    Wubi installed in a loop device, not "inside Windows" exactly.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    @guber2: again...it's no worse then when you use yahoo or google...frankly, i don't even notice anything...also, you can control quite a bit in the privacy settings...The rest (as i mentioned) helps them improve the system so as far as i am concerned, that is just fine...As i mentioned, i was a pretty steady linux user from around 2009 or so (when i registered with this forum) and as i tried each new version of windows for a while, i always found myself drifting back to ubuntu (or linux mint) after trying windows 10, and seeing all the excellent refinements that had been made (not to mention the great performance of windows defender which keeps the system very secure) i didn't find myself drifting back again...

I also liked that there would be no further versions...that windows 10 will just be a rolling type system with automatic upgrades on an average of about 2 times per year...As far as linux goes, i still think Ubuntu is the best of all the distros out there...but as i said, i am very satisfied with Windows 10...
    I agree that Windows 10 is probably their best version so far. I also remember the first time I installed Windows 10 my thought was that it was the most Linux-like Windows so far (in a good way).

I also feel like I have to sleep with one eye open, watching Microsoft. Not so much of them doing something malicious as doing something really "bone-headed". Like removing Live applications for limited, inferior applications (Photos vs Live Photo Manager, {nothing} vs Live Movie Maker and DVD burning). I also found my privacy settings reset after an update.

Their problems also stems from them being a proprietary system. You just can't be 100% sure what's going on. Unless you look through the code for Linux, you can't be 100% sure either but I trust there would be a loud clamor if the community and people who DO look through the code finds something.

Do I have a Windows 10 system? Yes. Do I have an Ubuntu system? Yes. They each provide me some feature(s) that the other doesn't, or doesn't easily.

A rolling release sound fine, sounds great in fact. I've used openSUSE Tumbleweed which is an excellent rolling release distribution. They use QA and testing software to help keep everything stable and working and they do a great job with it. But I also know that there are some "gotchas" and opportunities prone to errors that Microsoft hasn't gone through yet. Microsoft is not that great about seeing issues that show up in the open source and Linux community, and addressing them proactively yet.

It is quite interesting watching Microsoft from the vantage point of years of using Linux. My experience grants me insight my non-Linux using friends don't notice or see.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@dragonbite: great comparison...i think part of the reason i like windows 10 so much is because it has a very modern interface (unlike earlier versions) and since they got rid of metro from windows 8 (which i didn't care for) it's very smooth and nice to use...also i like the concept of windows store and adding all kinds of nice apps (for example: although i use the itunes and iheart radio stream apps, i also found a great 3rd party streamer app called mini radio player which has all the stations of the other two tuners...

Also, i found a great dvd burner that is free and is better then anything i used on linux (and unfortunately, they don't have a linux version)...Store apps are easy to add and remove, so you can experiment with different ones...And with all the windows defender improvements, it is the first time i have felt very secure using a windows system...as secure as i felt when using ubuntu...

The twice a year upgrades, i have found, go very smooth and all my data stuff, installed apps and settings carry over beautifully...And having the "Insiders Program" is a great boost for the quality control of the system as it goes through it's various changes over time...Also, you can clean install a pure windows 10 system (removing the manufacturers bloatware) which i do whenever i buy a new computer...
    Last edited by craig10x; May 15th, 2017 at 07:26 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Just another step in microsoft taking ownership of the desktop PC of the uninformed masses.
    That had already happened somewhere between 1984 and 1987 ...

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

If it weren't for threads such as this, I'd never have known how wonderful a certain operating system is.

Just to balance things out: Locked in by choice: How European governments are handling their Microsoft addiction. But its obviously more than just Europe ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    That had already happened somewhere between 1984 and 1987 ...
    Microsofts implementation of secure boot wasn't around in 1987 which can make it a lot harder
    for the curious to test an alternative.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by guber2 View Post
    Microsofts implementation of secure boot wasn't around in 1987 which can make it a lot harder
    for the curious to test an alternative.
    Microsoft locked up the desktop PC by 1987, with or without secure boot. Microsoft hasn't made any effort to "take over the PC" since then. They've only maintained.

Secure boot is a speedbump that ended up being a wasted effort for Microsoft.

Beans

It can make creating a dual boot harder which is how I and many others graduated to Linux over time.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast