Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 153

Thread: Howto: Setup a DNS server with bind

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Beans
    1,113
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Howto: Setup a DNS server with bind

    I don't know what else I need to do to get help around here, anybody who sets up a webserver on a domain has had to create this before. Is there honesty nobody here to help me? What more do I have to do?

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Beans
    215
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Howto: Setup a DNS server with bind

    Quote Originally Posted by Maheriano View Post
    I don't know what else I need to do to get help around here, anybody who sets up a webserver on a domain has had to create this before. Is there honesty nobody here to help me? What more do I have to do?
    You don't need your own DNS server to host a website on your own domain. All you need to do is point the domain to your static external IP address. It simply isn't really worth building a DNS server from scratch just to point a single record to yourself.

    However, setting up a DNS server is certainly an interesting project, if only in the issues around keeping it secure.

    I'm afraid this hasn't really helped your problem in getting it working (I'm no BIND expert) but I'm sure someone will be along who knows more. Other than that, there are some excellent BIND tutorials out there...

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Beans
    1,113
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Howto: Setup a DNS server with bind

    Quote Originally Posted by yknivag View Post
    You don't need your own DNS server to host a website on your own domain. All you need to do is point the domain to your static external IP address. It simply isn't really worth building a DNS server from scratch just to point a single record to yourself.

    However, setting up a DNS server is certainly an interesting project, if only in the issues around keeping it secure.

    I'm afraid this hasn't really helped your problem in getting it working (I'm no BIND expert) but I'm sure someone will be along who knows more. Other than that, there are some excellent BIND tutorials out there...
    For real? I tried entering my IP as the DNS at my registrar but I got an error saying it wasn't a valid format for a DNS entry.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Beans
    215
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Howto: Setup a DNS server with bind

    You don't add your IP as the DNS, you use their DNS but simply create a record to point www.yourdomain.tld to your IP.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Beans
    1,113
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Howto: Setup a DNS server with bind

    Quote Originally Posted by yknivag View Post
    You don't add your IP as the DNS, you use their DNS but simply create a record to point www.yourdomain.tld to your IP.
    Where do I create this record?

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Beans
    215
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Howto: Setup a DNS server with bind

    That will depend on who you registered your domain with.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Beans
    1,113
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Howto: Setup a DNS server with bind

    Quote Originally Posted by yknivag View Post
    That will depend on who you registered your domain with.
    www.hostgo.com
    I think they use a sister service at www.registergo.com for registrations.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Beans
    215
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Howto: Setup a DNS server with bind

    Ah, they seem only to provide the name itself, most registration companies also do the DNS for you for free. I'd look to transfer your domain somewhere that offers a better service.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Beans
    1,113
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Howto: Setup a DNS server with bind

    Damnit. So I just set up an account with www.dyndns.com and can now get to my website via deemar.dyndns.com but I want to get there from the domain I purchased which is deemarwebdesign.com. How do I do that?

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Beans
    215
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Howto: Setup a DNS server with bind

    You'll need to find a way of pointing your domain to your dyndns.com entry (assuming your server is on a dynamic IP) or to your IP if you have a static one.

    How you do this will depend on your registration company. Only they can really answer that.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •