Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Setup a DNS server with bind

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Howto: Setup a DNS server with bind

I don't know what else I need to do to get help around here, anybody who sets up a webserver on a domain has had to create this before. Is there honesty nobody here to help me? What more do I have to do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Maheriano View Post
    I don't know what else I need to do to get help around here, anybody who sets up a webserver on a domain has had to create this before. Is there honesty nobody here to help me? What more do I have to do?
    You don't need your own DNS server to host a website on your own domain. All you need to do is point the domain to your static external IP address. It simply isn't really worth building a DNS server from scratch just to point a single record to yourself.

However, setting up a DNS server is certainly an interesting project, if only in the issues around keeping it secure.

I'm afraid this hasn't really helped your problem in getting it working (I'm no BIND expert) but I'm sure someone will be along who knows more. Other than that, there are some excellent BIND tutorials out there...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by yknivag View Post
    You don't need your own DNS server to host a website on your own domain. All you need to do is point the domain to your static external IP address. It simply isn't really worth building a DNS server from scratch just to point a single record to yourself.

However, setting up a DNS server is certainly an interesting project, if only in the issues around keeping it secure.

I'm afraid this hasn't really helped your problem in getting it working (I'm no BIND expert) but I'm sure someone will be along who knows more. Other than that, there are some excellent BIND tutorials out there...
    For real? I tried entering my IP as the DNS at my registrar but I got an error saying it wasn't a valid format for a DNS entry.

Beans
    Distro

You don't add your IP as the DNS, you use their DNS but simply create a record to point www.yourdomain.tld to your IP.

Beans
    Distro

You don't add your IP as the DNS, you use their DNS but simply create a record to point www.yourdomain.tld to your IP.
    Where do I create this record?

Beans
    Distro

That will depend on who you registered your domain with.

Beans
    Distro

That will depend on who you registered your domain with.
    www.hostgo.com
    I think they use a sister service at www.registergo.com for registrations.

Beans
    Distro

Ah, they seem only to provide the name itself, most registration companies also do the DNS for you for free. I'd look to transfer your domain somewhere that offers a better service.

Beans
    Distro

Damnit. So I just set up an account with www.dyndns.com and can now get to my website via deemar.dyndns.com but I want to get there from the domain I purchased which is deemarwebdesign.com. How do I do that?

Beans
    Distro

You'll need to find a way of pointing your domain to your dyndns.com entry (assuming your server is on a dynamic IP) or to your IP if you have a static one.

How you do this will depend on your registration company. Only they can really answer that.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast