Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copying a bootable ISO file of Windows 10 on a flashdrive to another flashdrive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Copying a bootable ISO file of Windows 10 on a flashdrive to another flashdrive?

Awhile back I created a bootable ISO of Windows 10 onto a 32 GB thumbdrive when you qualified to get the free download of W10. It worked fine installing W10 to my PC. Now I want to preserve this Win 10 ISO to another smaller 8 GB flashdrive so that the 32 GB flashdrive can be used for something else. Question is can you simply copy that ISO (drag & drop it) to another smaller flashdrive and will it still work fine in case it is needed to reinstall Win 10 in the future if needed?
    Last edited by cybrsaylr; April 30th, 2017 at 06:02 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04.06 LTS 64bit Ext4 on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 ram

Beans

Re: Copying a bootable ISO file of Windows 10 on a flashdrive to another flashdrive?

Why don't you just use whatever method you used to put the windows iso on the 32GB flash to put it on the 8GB flash?
    The only way I can think for the method you suggest to work is if you have a system on another drive with Grub and you manually put an entry to boot the 8GB flash drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Copying a bootable ISO file of Windows 10 on a flashdrive to another flashdrive?

Moved to Windows forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

yancek

Not sure if Windows still allows it to be done as it was originally done, as that time frame has expired to get the free qualifying W10 ISO download.
    Last edited by cybrsaylr; April 30th, 2017 at 06:55 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04.06 LTS 64bit Ext4 on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 ram

Beans

If you still have the iso of windows or the extracted files from the iso, you can follow the procedure described at the link below. Skip the part about installing Grub and juse create an entry based on the example they show and put it in your grub.cfg file for Ubuntu. If you don't have Ubuntu or a Linux system...good luck.

http://onetransistor.blogspot.ch/201...om-ubuntu.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Just an FYI, MS severs record information about the device/hardware the free upgrade was performed on when activated. So, it wouldn't activate without charge if you used it on another device though it would be fine to use to repair an installation.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; May 1st, 2017 at 03:14 AM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well simply dragging and dropping all ISO files from 32GB flashdrive to the 8GB flashdrive doesn't work. Tried that and while the 32GB drive still will attempt to install W10 the 8GB drive just shows a 'boot error' when attempting to boot into W10 from it.

I just want to save it to the smaller flashdrive in case it's needed for repair or re-installation of W10 (the little W10 is used) in the future on the legit PC and not put it onto any other device. Just not sure it this can still be done. Its been awhile since this ISO was created and don't really recall how I did it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Did you format flash drive as FAT32 (from Windows) and include boot flag. The copy of files should make it UEFI bootable.
    You may have to run chkdsk on it to make sure FAT32 has correct configuration if formatted from Linux.

If you need BIOS boot you have to install the Windows boot loader to MBR of 8GB flash. You should be able to run the normal repairs from your Windows install. FixBoot, FixMBR, chkdsk, etc.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Fred, both 32GB and 8GB flashdrives list msdos as the basic Filesystem type. Believe when the MS sever was used to create the ISO in the 32GB drive, MS prepped it to the correct filesystem that works. Not sure about the 8GB drive.

The 32GB drive works fine. On startup, F12 is hit and a boot selection comes up. 32GB drive is selected and it goes right to a windows setup.

GParted shows both flashdrives are FAT 32 and have the same boot, lba flag.
    Last edited by cybrsaylr; May 1st, 2017 at 05:37 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you tried this method?

http://www.backup-utility.com/clone/...-usb-3889.html

Though as already mentioned, you will have to register again/activate again by paying for it in case of full install.
    Please mark the thread as ''solved'' if your query has been resolved.
    How to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast