Thread: Asus PRIME B250M-A or ROG STRIX B250G GAMING

Beans

Asus PRIME B250M-A or ROG STRIX B250G GAMING

Hello folks,

I am thinking buy one of this board to run Ubuntu: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B250M-A/ or https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...-B250G-GAMING/
    But I'm not sure which one is the best!

Which would they choose?

Note:
    I am thinking built this setup:
    Asus ROG Strix B250G Gaming
    Intel Core i5-7500 Quad-Core 3.4GHz c/ Turbo 3.8GHz 6MB Skt1151
    Corsair VS550W

Thanks

Beans

Re: Asus PRIME B250M-A or ROG STRIX B250G GAMING

I can't get the onboard sound to work on the Asus PRIME B250M-A, not sure about the other one but I would anticipate problems there too - boards are just too new yet.
    If you're going to go with one of these you might be best off to get a separate soundcard that is known to be linux compatible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ccmamer View Post
    I can't get the onboard sound to work on the Asus PRIME B250M-A, boards are just too new yet.
    It uses a Realtek ALC887 codec. They've been around for a while and there's no reason the sound shouldn't work on any modern kernel, even if the mobo itself is very recent.

As for the ROG board, it uses a Realtek ALC1220, which requires kernel 4.11, or updating your current kernel with the latest HDA modules: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS

Beans

Thanks for your comments!

I am thinking change the board to this one: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PR...pecifications/

The sound board and board lan it is:

Realtek® RTL8111H, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)
    ASUS LAN Guard

and

Realtek® ALC887 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC *4

What do you think?

Note: I am change the board because with this product I can has three differents ways to connect my screens, through vga, hdmi and dvi

thanks
    Last edited by howefield; May 4th, 2017 at 07:01 AM. Reason: reset font properties to default.

Beans

HEllo folks,

I think I should keep the warning on this topic.

My current setup is

Asus Prime B250 Pro
    I5 intel 7500
    8 GB Ram

After I install through usb Lubuntu 16.10 my system started so good! But, after I ran the first biggest - sudo apt-get update - the system started without panel, lxpanel -- where has the menu and clock and another stuffs! And my layout keyboard changes, to a different which I chose when I put my name and name computer, during installation system.

This is result from my uname -a
    Linux enoworld 4.8.0-51-generic #54-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 25 16:32:21 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Beans

I'm in the same situation! I intend to buy one of those motherboards and I have the same doubt! One year passed since this post. Do somebody has an answer to the question? Does it work or not?

Beans

Hello, I bougth the setup:

Asus Prime B250 Pro
    I5 intel 7500
    8 GB Ram
    Two SSD 120GB Kingston

If do you know any battery test, like benchmark or commands to certificate if all drivers are installed on the system, which I can do my system (lubuntu 16.04 LTS) I appreciate the share.

Beans

I am about to buy a ROG STRIX B250G GAMING, but I still had no a final response about compatibility with Linux (sound, video and lan). What do you think?