Thread: deleting managed attachments in ubuntu forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

deleting managed attachments in ubuntu forum

How do I delete files that are shown in this forum under additional options "Managed Attachments"??
    Ubuntu 16.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: deleting managed attachments in ubuntu forum

Moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Hello and welcome, I've also tried removing the uploaded attachments but can't seem to remove them, I don't think there's a option to do that

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhac View Post
    How do I delete files that are shown in this forum under additional options "Managed Attachments"??
    You can delete attachments in your own posts in the way described below. Please do not delete your own attachments arbitrarily. Although post editing is allowed, the intention is that editing, including removing or adding attachments, is there for improving clarity where this is needed. If any editing is done that changes or obscure the original content of the post, this might be considered to be forum vandalism. Please see our relevant policy:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2231107

Please be assured that comment is not directed at you. With many people reading these threads, I need to be sure that our stance on significant post content removal is well understood by all.

Having said that, this is how you remove an attachment.

Edit post -> Go Advanced -> Click on Manage Attachments button.

Near the bottom left of the Manage Attachments popup window, hover the mouse pointer over the thumbnail of the attachment you wish to delete. ? and X buttons will appear in the thumbnail box. If you hover over the ? or X you will see descriptions of their functions - "Delete" for X. Click on the X. Now click on OK for "Are you sure that you wish to delete this asset?" Close the popup window. You will now see something like this in your text representing your now-deleted attachment:

Code:
    [ATTACH]123456[/ATTACH]
    If you leave that there, you will leave a link to a non-existent attachment in your post. Delete it all, being careful you delete the correct one if you have more than one attachment in your post. Now save changes and your post will appear without the attachment.

Edit Caveat: I'm fairly sure that what I've described is not an admin-only privilege. I've checked the somewhat labyrinthine permissions for representative non-staff usergroups, and it looks to be that those groups can remove their own attachments. However, vbulletin has sprung us some surprises before, and usergroup and sub-forum permissions can be quite tricky in practice. If you find my instructions don't work for you, let us know, and we'll all be the wiser.
    Last edited by coffeecat; April 29th, 2017 at 01:53 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!

Works ok here to remove the attachment from a post using either the Enhanced Attachment Uploading On or the old style attachment manager.

However, there appears to be no way to permanently delete and attachment, the Enhanced Atttachment manager does though say that uploads not used within one hour will be deleted.

Edit: From vB forum https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...93#post3070693

Edit: at least an hour later, Attachment Statistics via my settings shows "You are currently using 239.0 KB to store 3 uploaded attachments." which appears not to include the attachment this post had at the beginning, however the Attachment Manager DOES still show the un-used attachment.
    Last edited by flocculant; May 1st, 2017 at 10:15 AM.