Thread: Music streaming services does not work in Chromium

Beans

Music streaming services does not work in Chromium

I have a newbie question. I'm just starting my adventure with Ubuntu, but I encountered a small but annoying problem. While using Chromium Spotify Web Player just does not work. The only thing I receive is error on the top of the web page on pink background saying: "Unfortunately there was an error while playing song, load again" or something like this (I'm not using English version, so I'm not sure how exactly translate this error). Then I even can't click one Pause/Play button becouse nothing happens. Also one of my favourite online radio does not work. It is loading forever and buttons also does not work. Do I have to install any specific plugin to make it work? I would like to mention that in Firefox everything works perfectly fine but I want to stick with Chromium becouse of sync with my second PC. I know there is Spotify app for Linux but working radio is still important for me. Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: Music streaming services does not work in Chromium

Seems to be know problem, not sure if it is Spotify or Chromium but I'd suspect a change in Chromium with regards flash.

There will be a new version of Chromium coming through the repositories shortly, possibly this week if you can hang off and try it.

Beans

Great! I'll wait and check if the bug is fixed. Thanks for advice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by exigoss View Post
    Great! I'll wait and check if the bug is fixed. Thanks for advice.
    Seems not, still the same issue.

Might be worth reporting at the Spotify community forums although there have been reports for a few weeks with no apparent workaround other than use another browser (not chromium based).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

If you'd like I found an official Spotify app for Ubuntu: https://www.spotify.com/int/download/linux/ Though according to OMGUbuntu support stopped about a year ago... http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/03/s...no-development But there may still be unofficial apps you can use, rather than having to rely on the browser.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

>While using Chromium Spotify Web Player just does not work. <

I tried using Chromium on Hoopla's site for audio and got a message re. needing to upgrade my browser. I have Lubuntu and Ub 14.04 as dual boots on that machine, so I just got 14.04 up and used Chrome w/ no probs. Hope that helps or clarifies.

Last edited by ra7411; April 27th, 2017 at 10:21 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ra7411 View Post
    I have Lubuntu and Ub 14.04 as dual boots on that machine, so I just got 14.04 up and used Chrome w/ no probs. Hope that helps or clarifies.
    Chrome does work fine with Spotify web player but Chromium doesn't.

Beans

YMMV... many things are simply not tested with Linux based clients.

You should try internet-radio.com and streamtuner for tens of thousands of online radio stations that work.

$ sudo apt install streamtuner

Streamtuner also includes streamripper. I use streamripper once or twice a year to download ten or twenty radio stations for a week, to give me stuff to listen to in my car. Over here is only one radio station that is audible - Abu Dhabi Classic - it gets a wee little bit trying after a while. So I'm an expert on internet streaming radio...

Beans

Thanks all for help and advices. Although Chromium seems not to work with these sites I still stck to it. I managed to replace those sites with apps. For Spotify I use official app and for internet radio I found app called GRadio (https://github.com/haecker-felix/gradio). It covers all my needs so I think that my problem is solved. Thanks again for help
    Last edited by exigoss; April 28th, 2017 at 07:51 PM.