Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New installation of Ubuntu 17.04 - Swap not Available

Beans

Re: New installation of Ubuntu 17.04 - Swap not Available

I just open the terminal from the launcher. I get ~/. I didn't realise opening it from elsewhere made a difference!

Beans

Here is the well-known guide to learning to use the terminal. From basics to more advanced things.

http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_learning_the_shell.php

Beans

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Niccolo999 View Post
    I'm a brand new user to Ubuntu and Linux based desktop OS's. I am now dual booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu 17.04 and they are installed on different partitions of the same SSD. I also have a HDD for data. My PC has 8GB of RAM.

On installation I did not create a swap partition, and I'm assuming Ubuntu created a Swap file for me.

When I start System Monitor it says Swap Not Available. I also tried various commands I found on the internet and all show that Swap is not being used. I tried opening all LibreOffice apps and 10 instances of Google Chrome, but I can't get Swap to be shown as working. I tried SuperTuxKart and also Suspend. Nothing.

Is something wrong with my installation? I'm asking because I was trying to change Swappiness, but before I try that I want to confirm the swap file is being used and I want to see if increasing swappiness makes a difference to performance...

Thanks!
    How large is your partition for Ubuntu 17.04? How much disk space do you have left? Just curious.

Edit: Nevermind... :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Niccolo999 View Post
    I followed the instructions here and now I have a working Swap File! No idea why it wasn't working by default.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/9046...-file-location

Beans

My SSD is 250GB. I created a 150GB partition for Windows 10 (wife uses photoshop so she needs windows). That left a 90.8GB partition for Ubuntu. I used up 10.8GB, including a 4GB partition I created. The computer also has an NTFS formatted HDD of 2TB.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123