Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 14.04 printed perfectly for years; now "Waiting for printer to become available"

Beans

14.04 printed perfectly for years; now "Waiting for printer to become available"

I've been using the same printer (HP Laserjet 1018) with my Ubuntu 14.04 for years, without any problem. Out of the blue for the past week, it won't print anything. When I open the printer properties window all the settings look fine. But in the "printer state" window appears the message "Processing - Waiting for printer to become available." And if I try to print anything, and then open the "view print queue" window, it lists the job as 'pending'. But my HP Laserjet 1018 is listed in the printers window, with the check mark next to it indicating it is set as the default printer. I do not know what further to do to get it printing again.

I'll also add that normally when I connect the printer to the computer's USB port, the printer runs for a moment, with its indicator light turning from yellow to orange, and then again back to yellow. This has always been the usual indication that the printer is recognized and linked to the computer. But now when I connect the printer to the computer this is not occurring. It simply sits there quietly, with the indicator light yellow.
    Last edited by swarup; April 20th, 2017 at 12:23 AM.

Beans

Re: 14.04 printed perfectly for years; now "Waiting for printer to become available"

Could someone provide some guidance as to how to troubleshoot the above described issue.
    Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: 14.04 printed perfectly for years; now "Waiting for printer to become available"

You might have some print job stuck in a queue ..

Take a look in http://localhost:631/printers/

and purge any jobs.

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think there are any jobs pending, as in the process of trying to solve the problem I had gone into the print queue window of this printer (found in "settings"), and removed all the pending jobs that I couldn't print over the past week. I've attached a screen print of the print queue window, and as you will see it is empty. I've also opened the window which you give a link to, which shows printer status, and it shows the HP1018 as 'idle', confirming that there are no pending jobs. A screen print of this printer status screen is also attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Does it print from Windows?
    Also, I am sure you must have checked, but is there a paper jammed in printer?

Beans

By "Windows" do you mean a Windows OS? I don't have a Windows OS. Ubuntu is my only OS.
    And no, there is no paper jammed in the printer. As a matter of fact, I have two HP1018 printers, and cannot print to either one.

As mentioned in my first post, "normally when I connect the printer to the computer's USB port, the printer runs for a moment, with its indicator light turning from yellow to orange, and then again back to yellow. This has always been the usual indication that the printer is recognized and linked to the computer. But now when I connect the printer to the computer this is not occurring. It simply sits there quietly, with the indicator light yellow." The lack of this occurrence makes me think that somehow the printer is not getting recognized in the way it should.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Have you tried connecting through a different USB port .. and/or cable?

Beans

My printer becomes unresponsive occasionally, and to fix it I delete the printer in the printer dialog, then re-add it as if it were new. Maybe that will work for you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Hardware.

Beans

I just tried connecting to a different usb port, but no change. The printer doesn't "come alive" as it is supposed to.
    I also ran lsusb, and the printer isn't in the list of connected devices. So it doesn't look like the computer sees the printer. But it has been seeing it just fine for the past three years.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast