Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 14.04 printed perfectly for years; now "Waiting for printer to become available"

Beans

Re: 14.04 printed perfectly for years; now "Waiting for printer to become available"

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    e.g. run this command
    Code:
    cd /var/log/cups; echo "error_log"; tail error_log; echo "access_log"; tail -30 access_log
    I tried to post the output of this command here just now. And it is only 45 lines of code. But I am getting the same error as I posted above in post #26. This has never happened before-- don't know why Ubuntu Forums is blocking the post of even moderate amounts of code.

Beans

Re: 14.04 printed perfectly for years; now "Waiting for printer to become available"

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post

If this process returns the same error condition then I would turn to trying the printer in a different environment as suggested earlier.

The method requiring least setup is to create a new user account for testing.

System Tools > Administration > User Accounts

Create a new user account.

Log out and log in with new User Account.

Try test printing process in CUPS as above.
    I created a new user account called "test", and am now logged into it. But the terminal window is not allowing me to use the password I created for this account, to approve the sudo command:

Code:
    test@swarup:~$ sudo service cups stop; sudo service cups start
    [sudo] password for test: 
    test is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
    [sudo] password for test: 
    test is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
    test@swarup:~$

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Try
    Code:
    sudo usermod -a -G sudo test
    to add user "test" to the sudoers group.

don't know why Ubuntu Forums is blocking the post of even moderate amounts of code
    It's an ongoing issue we're aware of; in the meantime please use https://paste.ubuntu.com/

Beans

Once I paste into the paste bin in the link you've given, what do I do with the output? It still doesn't copy-paste into a Forum post. And when I click on "download as text", then it logs me back into Ubuntu Forums, but then comes to a window which says "Plain form not available for deep linking."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Type your forum name into the Poster: field, paste your text, right-click on the resulting Download as text URL, copy link location, then paste the URL into your post here.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Pastebin

Beans

Thank you for your kindness in trying to help-- that link is regarding 16.04 though, while I am running 14.04. Ever since this problem cropped up back in April 2017, I haven't been able to use the HP1018.

Beans

Similar problem with Brother HL-1112. In my case, the solution was to go to the CUPS web-page: localhost:631
    Select the printer (mine appeared as HL-1110. I had already installed the driver wrapper and CUPS wrapper supplied on Brother's website.)
    Administration > Modify printer
    The connection was shown as /dev/usblp0. This was what was wrong. Select the radio button for 'Brother HL-1110 series (Brother HL-1110 series)'.
    Click continue, don't change anything else, then click 'Modify printer'. That creates the correct usb connection.
    Print a test-page to check. (Maintenance > Print test page)
    You might need to re-start CUPS. If so, in a terminal type: Sudo service cups restart.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234