Thread: a linux flavor for Grandma

Beans

a linux flavor for Grandma

if your grandmother was going to get a new computer, a desk top, and wanted a Linux OS on it... what would you recommend? This grandma (me) doesn't do online gaming, she looks at Pinterest relentlessly, saves loads of pics, does Ebay, perhap needs enough office system to make/open a PDF file, and that's about it. She is currently using MATE and likes it a lot and still has the disc. Would she need to get a new one? or some other simple and SAFE system? enquiring minds need to know...

Beans

Re: a linux flavor for Grandma

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia_Hayner View Post
    She is currently using MATE and likes it a lot and still has the disc.
    Sounds like there is no reason to move to another linux variant if you are happy with what you have, and more to the point, accustomed to using it.

Ubuntu Mate will do all that you have written, but the disc would need to be a currently supported version, realistically that probably means 16.04, although the recently released 17.04 is supported till January 2018.

About the only reason I could think of to change in those circumstances would be a desire to experience other desktop environments.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Hello and welcome to the forum

It sounds like you're happy with the distribution you already have I see no reason to change, Mate is a great destop and easy to get use to
    Last edited by RobGoss; April 18th, 2017 at 04:05 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

As above, plus, an LTS release, like 16.04 LTS, has three years support (for MATE, five years for Ubuntu). Non-LTS releases have nine months, so I'd suggest you stick with LTS.

If you're happy with MATE, making sure you remain on a supported release would be your only concern I'd imagine. Enjoy.