Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accidentally deleted all kernels.

Beans

Accidentally deleted all kernels.

I accidentally deleted all my kernels when trying to make space to run an update, and now am trying to follow the steps on: https://askubuntu.com/questions/2809...ng-all-kernels but am stuck on step 6. (very big newb here) and have no idea which one is my partition.
    This is the output from the terminal:
    Model: ATA WDC WD10EZEX-21M (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: gpt
    Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
    1 1049kB 538MB 537MB fat32 boot, esp
    2 538MB 794MB 256MB ext2
    3 794MB 1000GB 999GB lvm

Model: Linux device-mapper (linear) (dm)
    Disk /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root: 995GB
    Partition Table: loop
    Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Flags
    1 0.00B 995GB 995GB ext4

Model: Linux device-mapper (linear) (dm)
    Disk /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-swap_1: 4169MB
    Partition Table: loop
    Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Flags
    1 0.00B 4169MB 4169MB linux-swap(v1)

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sr0
    has been opened read-only.
    Model: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GHB0N (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sr0: 1554MB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 2048B/2048B
    Partition Table: mac
    Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
    1 2048B 6143B 4096B Apple
    2 7389kB 9880kB 2490kB EFI

If I've somehow screwed something up to the point of no return is there anyway to recover some of my files and photos before doing a clean install?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Accidentally deleted all kernels.

Can't help you with the deleted kernel issue, but if you boot the PC using the same disk or USB image that you used to install Ubuntu, you can chose "Try Ubuntu" when prompted. You will then be able to access the HD and be able to copy your files to an external source.

Hopefully someone else can help you get your system back. But in any case, you still need to get a backup copy of stuff you don't want to lose.

Beans

Thank you I didn't realise I could still access my files from the live cd. Will be making a back up just in case I need to do a clean install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Also, a while ago, I broke my Ubuntu install as well. When I booted with installer (a bootable usb), I vaguely remember ubuntu giving me an option to "repair" ( not sure) or me just installing on same partition, just fixed the issues and all of my data and configs were there as before the crash.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Boot-Repair's advanced mode has the reinstall of grub and a checkbox for including newest kernel.

But Boot-Repair has issues with LVM with encryption. Just make sure you have mounted the LVM and given password to unencrypt your system.
    Both RAID & LVM use /mapper, so Boot-Repair tries to figure out which you have but does not always work & then encryption prevents it from seeing / (root).

See the first steps to mount your encrypted LVM up to the part where it says you can now do other repairs or maintenance.
    How to: Mount & Resize an Encrypted Partition (LUKS) also mount for repairs
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4530641

The old instructions also were before UEFI. So you also have to mount your ESP - efi system partition.

I do not know LVM, if someone does that would be better to help this user.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Boot-Repair's advanced mode has the reinstall of grub and a checkbox for including newest kernel.

But Boot-Repair has issues with LVM with encryption. Just make sure you have mounted the LVM and given password to unencrypt your system.
    Both RAID & LVM use /mapper, so Boot-Repair tries to figure out which you have but does not always work & then encryption prevents it from seeing / (root).

See the first steps to mount your encrypted LVM up to the part where it says you can now do other repairs or maintenance.
    How to: Mount & Resize an Encrypted Partition (LUKS) also mount for repairs
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4530641

The old instructions also were before UEFI. So you also have to mount your ESP - efi system partition.

I do not know LVM, if someone does that would be better to help this user.
    I checked out the link, but it's way over my head and I don't understand what it is I'm suppose to be doing?
    Follow the steps from step 1?, sorry really big newbie here.
    Also I got a back up of all my folders and photos but is it possible to somehow back up all the bookmarks I had in my browser?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

is it possible to somehow back up all the bookmarks I had in my browser?
    If you used Firefox, you should find a (usually hidden) folder in your /Home folder named .Mozilla. A sub-folder to that one is called Firefox. This contains pretty much everything about Firefox. Save that Firefox folder to a thumb drive. Then once you've gotten your new kernal working,, run Firefox once, then close it, then copy that Firefox folder into the new .Mozilla folder. That has worked for me for every installation I've used.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Plus, these days, it's really smart to set up "sync" on Firefox and any other browsers you use. Very simple to do . . . after clicking the right option in preferences, you basically register on the Firefox server and from then on, all your bookmarks are saved and synced across machines.
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans

Hi everyone, Thank you so much for all the help so far.

Decided to reinstall ubuntu but now ran into a new problem :/
    When the install starts a window popped up saying Installation Failed:

The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk: [Errno 5] Input/output error This is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.

The CD I'm using is new and seems clean with no damage, I chose the slower burning option when I burnt the CD.
    Can't see any dusk in the drive (haven't opened up the desktop though, just peeked through the slot where the CD's inserted) and left my computer off for a while to let it fully cool down before trying to install it again but got the same message.
    Ran the 'Check disc for defects' and got a 1 error found.

Do I try and burn another iso to another disc or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast