Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zesty 17.04, video and 2nd display problems

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Zesty 17.04, video and 2nd display problems

Quote Originally Posted by russkyca View Post
    Settings won't show up at all. I click it and nothing happens....Then, eventually, the same error message. I guess Ubuntu and Gnome should be working together to fix the countless bugs and instead of releasing garbage and wasting people's time.
    I would suggest very highly that you drop the attitude. There are many, many people for whom it is working fine. Do not project your experience on the entire community. Your sample size of one is not representative.

Quote Originally Posted by russkyca View Post
    If mods don't want people commenting on it, that just means there is something to hide.
    What the "mods" don't want is a non-constructive, bilious attitude. If you want to discuss your problems with 17.04, do so. But check your poor behavior at the door. THAT is the sort of thing that causes posts to be removed from public view.
    Last edited by QIII; April 21st, 2017 at 08:59 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

My gut feeling on this is either you are running one of the beta DMs (mir or wayland) or you system wasn't installed properly. To confirm, you can let us know which gnome you are logging into. You should be using gnome classic.
    If you are using gnome classic, then you should try out the remaining two commands from previous post. And if that doesn't work, then I think it would be easier to run installer and fix the os.
    Others with better knowledge can try to help you fix in different way.
    Believe me, I am not the only one on this forums. Others are following this thread and will jump in when they think they have something to contribute.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sp40140 View Post
    My gut feeling on this is either you are running one of the beta DMs (mir or wayland) or you system wasn't installed properly. To confirm, you can let us know which gnome you are logging into. You should be using gnome classic.
    If you are using gnome classic, then you should try out the remaining two commands from previous post. And if that doesn't work, then I think it would be easier to run installer and fix the os.
    Others with better knowledge can try to help you fix in different way.
    Believe me, I am not the only one on this forums. Others are following this thread and will jump in when they think they have something to contribute.
    I wanted to reply to you to confirm that I am using Gnome Classic.

I think the problem isn't happening right now and I have tried to reproduce it. I am not saying it's solved because I just noticed it not happening suddenly. I didn't do anything or remember doing anything. I'll re-post if it happens again. If you think anyone is following the thread, I would like to state if the problem persists (just in case it happens to anyone else).

This is the scenario in a nutshell:
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 + using Chrome (usually happens in full screen) video streaming - so Chrome browser is full screen - and then video itself is made full screen.... soon after, the screen fragments and freezes....and is 'stuck there.' Even the sound keeps going.... usually the fragmented part takes up half the screen and I can't get rid of it. There are remnants of some pixelation. If I drag some other window there, it only moves under the fragmented part of the screen. I can't figure out how to 'refresh the screen' so I can get rid of it. Therefore, the 2nd monitor (in my case, my 32" TV) is not usable so my option so far is to reboot the computer. If I run top or look at what's running, Chrome is not running (I can close or kill that process) but the screen is still showing that 'crash.'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12