Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot display this video mode ....bla, bla, bla

Beans

Re: Cannot display this video mode ....bla, bla, bla

Hi again!
    Well I use Clonezilla Server Edition which is in fact Drbl and create images of new customer computers, computers I have fixed and/or changed hard drives, computers that I build.

It has been an efficient way to keep a backup image of customer computers in case of a crash....

It isn't a case of me creating an image and pushing that out to several computers at once...

Never liked Windows for creating images....

I did, however, create .wim images of computers but find clonezilla easier, quicker and most often more reliable...just recently I have had problems...

bookie

Beans

@bookie2, in https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....6#post13634146 you mentioned solving your initial problem.

If you have unrelated issues, please feel free to start a new thread with an informative title. Doing so will help you get the attention your issue deserves and will be of use to others as well. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry - I was mixing up Drbl with another system, DRDB, that does block storage duplication.

Beans

Hi vasa1

You have a point I did say it was solved and then unsolved but here goes...

I removed all the nvidia drivers because glx wasn't working and went back to the Nouveau driver....

As TheFu points out one should try these drivers....

With the Nouveau driver active I didn't have the resolution I wanted so I need to add that to my selection and the easiest way to do that was using xrandr:

First I generated a modeline:

Code:
    $ cvt 1280 1024 60 (1280x1024 being the missing resolution I wanted on my server)
    This gave me the following readout:

# 1280x1024 59.89 Hz (CVT 1.31M4) hsync: 63.67 kHz; pclk: 109.00 MHz
    Modeline "1280x1024_60.00" 109.00 1280 1368 1496 1712 1024 1027 1034 1063 -hsync +vsync
    I tried to see if I had a standard output:
    Code:
    xrandr --addmode VGA-0 1280x1024_60.00 (but this output couldn't be found)
    To establish my output I ran the following:

Code:
    $ xrandr | grep -e " connected [^(]" | sed -e "s/\([A-Z0-9]\+\) connected.*/\1/"
    Which gave me the following:

DVI-I-1

Now I added the resolution I wanted:

Code:
    xrandr --addmode DVI-I-1 1280x1024_60.00
    I then created a ~/.xprofile with gpedit and added the following:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    xrandr --newmode "1280x1024_60.00"  109.00  1280 1368 1496 1712  1024 1027 1034 1063 -hsync +vsync
    xrandr --addmode DVI-I-1 1280x1024_60.00
    To implement my new setting I ran the following:

Code:
    xrandr -s 1280x1024
    I then rebooted my machine and after logging in I could find a new resolution under screen settings...

But I might have to redo all this if I need to change my distro....

Thanks to two threads for info on xrandr: https://askubuntu.com/questions/3779...tom-resolution and ~/.xprofile https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Res...with_.xprofile

bookie

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nicely done.

That all appears to be distro agnostic to me. Should be good. BTW, if you want a simple GUI to manage resolutions, lxrandr is nice. I use it all the time to enable/disable a projector for presentations. Works like a charm - provided the device resolutions are known.

Beans

Hi TheFu!
    Thanks for the heads up on that....

bookie

Beans

Just thought I'd update this thread...
    This info is more of a personal one...just don't like leaving unfinished business...

Anyway, because of my problems with clonezilla server edition I will admit that I have gone over to Debian to test all versions of Debian 8.7 but always get the chroot problem...this has cost me many hours testing - but I am a stubborn old git....

Because none of them worked I went to Debian 7....there I just got so many different errors I gave up....

Now I am back with Xubuntu again but as yet with the older version 14.04 Trusty Tahr and everything is working great....

I chose to set up my system with drives and clonezilla before updating it....so I haven't any updates at the moment...

I have cloned my system so I have a starting point to go back to where things were working...

What I am wondering about is whether to upgrade this machine to 14.04.5 which has support until April 2019...

If someone can give me some advice on how to achieve this upgrade?

What ever happens I have a starting point now and that feels good....

bookie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12