Thread: What is the best linux distrobution that can support my laptop's hardware ?

Beans

What is the best linux distrobution that can support my laptop's hardware ?

My laptop has the following specs:

Make/Model : Lenovo V570
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40 GHz - 4 cores
    Memory: 8GB - DDR2/DDR3
    System Type: 64-bit Operating System
    Hard Drive: 750 GB HDD
    DVD Drive: Built in CD/DVD Drive
    Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
    Biometric Device: EgisTec ES603 Fingerprint Reader

Looking for the best distro that matches this hardware. Currently on this laptop is Windows 7 Pro.
    This laptop is from August 2012.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: What is the best linux distrobution that can support my laptop's hardware ?

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

With those specs you can run whatever distribution you want, I recommend creating a liveusb of a few that you want to try then run them in the try mode to see how you like them before installing one.

Beans

Thank you wildmanne39.

Reason why I'm considering the change is because in the next few years Windows 7 will have no more support.

I also checked about the Windows 10, but this laptop does not support it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Your welcome, linux is great in my opinion but you need to know that it is not an exact replacement for windows, there is a learning curve and window programs do not run natively on linux, we have our own programs or applications as we call them.

Beans

+1 to tying a few on live usb!

That is the best way to get a feel for the distro and a particular desktop environment. My suggestions to try would be Ubuntu Gnome, and possibly Mint Cinnamon, and Xubuntu or Mint XFCE. They are all fairly new user friendly and can all be tweaked for the more advanced user. I would also suggest that if you are new to linux that you might consider long term releases vs short term. You might not have the latest greatest application versions in a long term release, but you will be less likely to experience any major problems. About the only MS product these days that I need to collaborate with others is MS office. That need I can satisfy by installing the Microsoft_online_apps.deb from Sourceforge. As it sits right now Microsoft online apps are still free for linux and android users. Those are my thoughts for what they are worth.

Beans

Yes, I know.

I've been using linux for a while but not on my laptop's hardware.

Beans

My daily driver is an HP envy with a quad i7 and 12GB ram. The best distro I have run on it is probably Debian testing XFCE. I also used Ubuntu Mate for a bit, but had some underlying issues with it that I frankly didn't want to continue dealing with. I'm currently running Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 that I have stripped down an modded to suit my needs. The goal here was to get the mobile devices, laptops, and the one desktop all on the same page when it comes to sharing and syncing data. All mobile devices (phones, tablets) are android so with Gnome's Google desktop integration it seamed like the logical way to go. At this point is is just a matter of testing what I have set up for a couple of months to insure stability and then migrate everything else over.

Beans

Any out of the box distro is fine they mostly prepare wifi networkmanager or wicd pre-install
    Refrain from set-it-up yourself distro such as Debian Netinstall, Gentoo, Arch based. Or you'll suffer of setup wifi issues.
    I feel sorry for Reactos developers they're end up the same fate as xp and still they didn't aware what they doing.
    Their fate are sealed on both hardware and applications.