Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [HOW-TO] Dual boot Acer Aspire R14

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

[HOW-TO] Dual boot Acer Aspire R14

This probably also applies to other Acer models using InsydeH2O BIOS. After much messing around, this is how I got dual boot working on my Acer Aspire R14-471T:

1) Update to the latest BIOS (I know, it's UEFI, but I'm going to call it a BIOS). My new laptop shipped with 1.07, 1.10 is the latest as of this posting.
    2) Shut down, then while starting back up hit the F2 button many times until the BIOS Setup Utility loads.
    3) In the "Main" menu, set the "F12 Boot Menu" option to "Enabled". Press F10 to Save and Exit, then once Windows loads shut down again.
    4) Insert your USB flash drive with your 64-bit Ubuntu installer on it.
    5) Power on and keep pressing F12 until the boot menu pops up. Select the flash drive, boot, and install Ubuntu.

This is where things get tricky:
    6) After ubuntu reboots, it will boot back into Windows. Shut down again. Reboot and hit F2 to enter the BIOS again.
    7) Under "Security", choose "Set Supervisor Password", and set one. You will need this password any time you go back into the BIOS. A bunch of options on the page should change from grey to blue.
    8) The "Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing" should now be available. If it's not available, check that Secure Boot is still Enabled, if not, Enable it. Select it, and navigate to HDD0->EFI->ubuntu->grubx64.efi. The BIOS will ask you for a name for it, I called it Grub.
    9) Hit F10 to save and exit, then immediately hit F2 again to re-enter the BIOS.
    10) Now go to "Boot", set "Secure Boot" to "Disabled", and arrow down to the bottom of the list to your new "Grub" entry. Hit F6 until it's the top of the list.
    11) Hit F10 one last time. Your system should now reboot to the Grub boot loader!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: [HOW-TO] Dual boot Acer Aspire R14

Thanks so much for posting these tip for Acer users, they probably have the hardest time installing Ubuntu on these machines do to the fact of all the changes that are needed within the BIOS I'm sure this will come in handy

Beans

Thank you! I was having trouble with being able to launch grub on my acer e1 572 6 br648 and oldfred directed me here and now my issue is solved.

A pretty straightforward tutorial for something kinda weird with those notebooks.

Thank you once again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Glad it helped! I sort of stumbled across how to do it, and figured others were also having trouble with the stupid BIOS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Amazing instructions, thanks a lot for sharing!
    Really helpful, didn't know where to even begin.

Beans

Red face Re: [HOW-TO] Dual boot Acer Aspire R14

Saved my day , Aspire ES 15 , ES1-572-358K Thanks !!!!!

Beans

That helped me a lot. I thought I would never get this to boot into Linux. Thanks.

Beans

Thanks!

Worked perfectly on my Acer Aspire E5-575 (E5-575_115F) bios v1.32

Beans

In fact, I wasn't one of the members of this forum until I read this article. I signed up just to thank you for helping me solve this stupid problem struggling me for couple of days. Your instructions are extremely helpful. Thanks you very much. I mean it!

Beans

I tried this with a new Acer Aspire ES 11. The 'bunch of options' did not appear. They weren't on the UEFI list. On rebooting, my Acer now reports 'No Bootable Device'. Perhaps someone has some wisdom for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast