Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to fix with the fresh factory Ubuntu 16.04 on a Dell XPS 13

Beans

Thumbs up What to fix with the fresh factory Ubuntu 16.04 on a Dell XPS 13

The Dell XPS 13 with the factory installed Ubuntu on 16.04 has a few shortcomings that needed to be fixed before it is fully useful. Below are the things I had to fix. Please feel free to add yours as well. I am moving this from the AskUbuntu, on a request from the admins because this is not just a single question and some things are opinionated.

Cooling Fan spins up because of a faulty samba process

The culprit is gvfsd-smb-browse process.

Add the statement below to [global] section of your /etc/samba/smb.conf
    name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
    https://itsfoss.com/fix-gvfsd-smb-high-cpu-ubuntu/
    Remove conflicting duplicate touchpad driver

To get things working properly, I needed to disable the second touchpad device "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad". I think it was mostly being ignored, and syndaemon was attaching to it instead of "DLL0704:01 06CB:76AE Touchpad", which was actually managing the touchpad.

I disabled it in the Xorg config file. I opened:

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/51-synaptics-quirks.conf
    and added this entry:
    Code:
    # Disable generic Synaptics device, as we're using
    # "DLL0704:01 06CB:76AE Touchpad"
    # Having multiple touchpad devices running confuses syndaemon
    Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
    MatchProduct "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    MatchOS "Linux"
    MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    Option "Ignore" "on"
    EndSection
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2316240

Activate Touchpad Palm Detection
    copy the file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf
    Add an Option "PalmDetect" "1" after line 13 so the overall this section looks like this:
    Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "touchpad catchall"
    Driver "synaptics"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    Option "PalmDetect" "1"
    # This option is recommend on all Linux systems using evdev, but cannot be
    # enabled by default. See the following link for details:
    # http://who-t.blogspot.com/2010/11/ho...on-errors.html
    EndSection
    https://erik.torgesta.com/2016/11/th...l-xps-13-9630/

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/atareao
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install touchpad-indicator
    /opt/extras.ubuntu.com/touchpad-indicator/bin/touchpad-indicator&
    The touchipad icon should appear in the notification area. Go to preferences, Set General Options->Autostart and Actions->Disable Touchpad on typing. Youst may want to adjust the delay in milliseconds too.
    Changing the scrolling direction of the two-finger scrolling on the touch-pad:
    EDIT: the below file doesn't seem to have any effect on the scrolling but breaks the mouse functionality. I have deleted it again but do not have the problem with the scrolling anymore.
    Alternate method from http://askubuntu.com/a/519859/452753 worked for me:

In the file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-natural-scrolling.conf you have opened in your preferred text editor, paste the following:

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "natural scrolling for mouse wheel"
    MatchIsPointer "on"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "Auto"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "5 4"
    EndSection
    Save the file and reboot. As above, individual users can switch it off on a per-user basis by using Ubuntu-Tweak to "turn on" natural scrolling (it will be the reverse of the system-wide setting on a per-user basis but will not affect the actual system setting for other users who will want to use natural scrolling).

Get the F1-F12 row to function as such instead of media keys by default

How to invert fn keys on Dell Laptop? Press F2 during POST (Power On Self Test) to enter the System Setup (BIOS) utility.

In the Function Key Behavior, select Multimedia Key First or Function Key First.

Function Key First — This is the default option. Press any function key to perform the associated function. For multimedia action, press Fn + the required multimedia key.
    Lacking dedicated page up/down, home/end buttons.

The XPS 13 keyboard has these buttons combined with the arrow buttons and so one needs two hands to access them (pressing Fn required). Here I re-purpose Print button to act as a Home button and Insert as PgDn:
    xmodmap -e "keycode 107 = Home" # using "Print" button
    xmodmap -e "keycode 118 = Next" # using "Insert" button
    Remove the Print shortcut to Screenshot in the System Settings->Keyboard ->Shortcuts->Screenshots
    Right Ctrl (with the list symbol) + up_arrow/down_arrow function as home/end as well.

Encrypted home directory blocks ssh key based authentication and vpn client

This is not strictly an XPS or 16.04 related issue, but it is helpful to know that you need to move your authorized_keys file outside of your encrypted home directory in order to be able to use ssh key based authentication. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SS...roubleshooting
    Here is a help entry from one of the VPN providers on the fix for their software in case you are using encrypted home directory. https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/227831828-Installing-the-PIA-app-on-Linux-with-encrypted-home-directories

Change Default Power Button Behaviour From Interactive to Suspend

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power button-power suspend

Monitor Stays Blank After Suspend When External Monitor Was In Use

ToDo

Here is my list, based on recommendations from the Arch Linux Wiki on the Dell XPS 13 (9360).
    Update linux-firmware in order to get the i915 guc and huc blobs

Manually install latest linux-firmware (at least released after 20170217).

1. Go to the Ubuntu linux-firmware package site for zesty.
    2. Click on "linux-firmware 1.xyz in amd64 (Release)", where xyz is the latest version you see on the page. (Assuming you need 64-bit packages)
    3. Under Downloadable files click to download the .deb file.
    4. Double-click the downloaded file to install it.

Update to the latest kernel to get NVMe power savings

Manually install kernel 4.11rc1 or later to get an NVMe power savings patch (download the linux-image-generic, linux-headers and linux-headers-generic for the version you choose). This alone should net you an idle power savings of 30%.

1. Go to the Ubuntu mainline kernel site.
    2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the bottom link.
    3. Click to download the amd64 .deb files:
      • linux-headers-*.deb
      • linux-headers-*-generic.deb
      • linux-image-*-generic.deb

4. Double-click the downloaded files to install them.
    5. Run sudo update-grub.

Improve graphics performance and power savings

Requires above two updates first!
    Edit /etc/default/grub and include the following options after GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash to improve video driver power savings and performance:
    i915.modeset=1 i915.enable_rc6=1 i915.enable_fbc=1 i915.enable_guc_loading=1 i915.enable_guc_submission=1 i915.enable_huc=1 i915.enable_psr=1 i915.disable_power_well=0 i915.semaphores=1
    Run sudo update-grub.
    Note that you should be able to add these into a .conf file for the i915 module, but Ubuntu doesn't seem to look at the file when I create it, which is why I recommend this method instead. Also, not all options are supported at this time (such as enable_huc and sempahores, but may be in the future in later kernels or linux-firmware releases).
    I've tested Borderlands 2 with this and see an improvement of about 5 FPS (on an original 26 FPS). I also see a slight decrease in power usage.
    Ensure you get the best wireless speeds

Edit /etc/default/crda and set your country code at the end of the REGDOMAIN line.
    eg. REGDOMAIN=US
    Fix palm detection on the touchpad

Install xserver-xorg-input-libinput.
    Create /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-libinput.conf containing:
    Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    Driver "libinput"
    Option "Tapping" "True"
    Option "PalmDetection" "True"
    Option "TappingDragLock" "True"
    EndSection
    Fix some screen tearing issues

Create /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf containing:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Intel Graphics"
    Driver "intel"
    Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
    Option "TearFree" "true"
    EndSection

Manually Update GPU Firmware
    Follow instructions for Kabylake https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/firmware

Creating split view window keyboard shortcuts

`sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager`
    and then open CompizConfig Settings Manager, search for Grid plug-in and change the bindings for Left Maximize and Right Maximize to <kbd>Ctrl</kbd>+<kbd>Super</kbd>+<kbd>Right</kbd>/<kbd>Left</kbd> accordingly.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/89708...oard-shortcuts
    Last edited by laluz2; April 15th, 2017 at 11:50 PM. Reason: adding Creating split view window keyboard shortcuts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: What to fix with the fresh factory Ubuntu 16.04 on a Dell XPS 13

Do you have a question here?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Do you have a question here?
    Thanks for asking, this is a post to keep these solutions in one place and profit from things other users have noticed and fixed.
    This is why I have tagged it as [SOLVED] if that's fine with you guys.

Just to mention I have still things to figure out
    • how to set the keyboard re-mapping permanent
    • the touchpad-indicator is defunct after adding Option "PalmDetect" "1"
    • Logitech unifying connector sees the mouse but the cursor doesn't move

while I was plannig to figure them out by myself help is always welcome.
    There is a post of another XPS 13 user Andrew that we should move other here as well http://askubuntu.com/a/897439/452753

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat. Not a support request and not a tutorial.

Also, please to not use special formatting.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I had to update the BIOS to 2.3.1 via "Ubuntu Software" application in order to use Dell Thunderbolt TB16 Docking Station. It is now functioning properly so far.
    It was important to set the security level to "no security" in BIOS under System configuration/USB configuration as otherwise the laptop would not boot.

Here are the helpful links from DELL (also thanks to their premier support - good job!) https://www.dell.com/support/article...nments?lang=en http://www.dell.com/support/home/de/...driverId=JGCWT

Without the above update the USB ports would deactivate itself every minute or so. I have now Display Port, Ethernet, USB2/3 connected to the docking station and it is also charing the laptop via the thunderbolt connection. The charging did not work with the Elgato Thunderbolt3 docking station (but the rest worked).
    Last edited by laluz2; November 14th, 2017 at 09:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Using libinput seems to cause the synaptics touchpad applet to crash at boot-time. However, most of the same items can be configured manually by editing /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-libinput.conf.

Also, libinput doesn't support a palm detection option according to its manpage:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...ibinput.4.html

Here is my config for those who are curious:
    Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    Driver "libinput"
    Option "Tapping" "True"
    Option "TappingDragLock" "True"
    Option "NaturalScrolling" "True"
    Option "AccelSpeed" "0.5"
    Option "MiddleEmulation" "True"
    EndSection

This speeds up the mouse, re-enabled middle button emulation, enables natural scrolling. Basically, it makes the touchpad largely behave like one on a macbook. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to also register an actual 2-finger click as a middle button click. Right now, tapping with 2 fingers registers as a middle click.

Beans

Upgrade to 17.10

Here are my notes on Upgrade to 17.10

To be able to connect to the (hotel) wifi with redirection auth page
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf
    On login screen click on the cog symbol (for settings) and change to the Unity option for the same experience as with factory 16.04. The other gui options were really ugly /not properly configured.

When logging in Unity session (which works more or less), I got this error :

• Could not apply the stored configuration for monitors

required virtual size does not fit available size: requested=(1, 1), minimum=(320, 200), maximum=(8192, 8192)

installed
    Code:
    unity-control-center
    , ran it, and sure enough the Display panel was working and the correct (previous version) monitor.xml was being written. After a reboot, everything worked as expected.

solution discussion here https://askubuntu.com/a/999783

DNS was not working
    Code:
    $ sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf
    $ sudo ln -s /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
    $ systemctl restart resolvconf

https://askubuntu.com/a/967341/452753
    Last edited by laluz2; March 20th, 2018 at 12:48 AM. Reason: DNS info

Beans

One more thing that still seems to affect the VPN re-connection for OpenVPN and PIA provider is this
    error

Code:
    /usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper --debug 0 5153 --bus-name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.openvpn.Connection_16 --tun -- tun0 1500 1570 10.9.11.6 10.9.11.5 restart
    WARNING: Failed running command (--up/--down): could not execute external program
    Exiting due to fatal error
    this should solve it https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...60/comments/19
    Code:
                            I confirm this same bug in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin. The same workaround works:

Steps to workaround:
     1. Change filename of  /usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper
    cd /usr/lib/NetworkManager/
    mv nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper.dist
     2. Create new file with same old name:
    nano nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper
     3. Fill the file with variables to export and original executable. Copy and paste this:
     #!/bin/bash
     [ -z "$ifconfig_local" ] && export ifconfig_local=$4
    [ -z "$ifconfig_remote" ] && export ifconfig_remote=$5
     /usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper.dist $*
     4. Make the new file executable:
    chmod +x nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper
     Now it works!

Beans

pulseaudio complains about something in the syslog - purge and reinstall pulseaudio

Code:
    grep pulse /var/log/syslog |less
    indicator-sound[2013]: volume-control-pulse.vala:530: pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused
    indicator-sound[2013]: volume-control-pulse.vala:735: unable to get pulse unix socket: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.PulseAudio1 was not provided by any .service files
    https://askubuntu.com/a/435221/452753

Beans

Upgraded 17.10 to 18.04.1

Upgraded 17.10 to 18.04.1 seemingly without fatal bugs. The docking station WD-16 is not recognized at the boot time (two yellow flashes and like eight white ones) but works fine if connected afterwards. Mapping of CapsLock to the Keyboard Layout changer is defunkt.
    Last edited by laluz2; August 24th, 2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: title

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast