Thread: Links/shortcuts on desktop

Beans

Links/shortcuts on desktop

Hi guys

I have looked at trying to create a link on the desktop as in Windows for my network... but I can't see how to do that...

If I open filemanager I can see Network in the left menu just can't see how to have a direct connection to it...?

No, I don't mean the network icon in the whisker menu...that just goes to network settings...

Does anyone no how to create such a link... I tried right clicking on Network and just had the option to open in a new window...

bookie

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Links/shortcuts on desktop

Right click on your Desktop and Click on "Create a Launcher". Provide the Name "Network Connections" and in the Command Section type "nm-connection-editor". If this doesn't work, let us know which desktop environment are you using? (i.e Gnome, MATE)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

What does the desktop link in Windows take you to?
    It is a long time since I used Windows so what you are asking for does not mean much to me, and perhaps similarly, may not to many others.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    What does the desktop link in Windows take you to?
    It is a long time since I used Windows so what you are asking for does not mean much to me, and perhaps similarly, may not to many others.
    Just guessing but maybe OP wants a "shortcut" to access network:/// which is what Thunar takes me to when I click on Browse Network in NETWORK which is located below all my PLACES items in Thunar's side-pane.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Misunderstood your question
    Last edited by RobGoss; March 29th, 2017 at 03:19 PM.

Beans

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys...lot to do lately....
    I thought it was a simple thing and that I explained myself ok...no matter...
    On the Windows desktop you an add a link to your network...(most of my customers don't even know that you can add such desktop icons...but that is another story... ).... and depending if you have other machines active in your network - you can see them from the network window...the I just wanted the same on my linux machine...

bookie