Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: User experiences with Ubuntu tablet

Beans

User experiences with Ubuntu tablet

Hello.

I want to buy an Ubuntu Tablet.
    The Aquarius M10.

however, i have some questions.

- What about the updates and what about the OS?
    Do i receive regular updates, and does it run ubuntu 16.04??

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: User experiences with Ubuntu tablet

Just curious where you're going to buy one from. I can't find any. Seem to be out of stock here and elsewhere.

Have you spotted a used one somewhere? Curious as up for something like it myself.

Beans

Essentially no and no.
    The tablet runs Ubuntu Touch, which is based on an older version of Ubuntu and it isn't anything like the desktop in use.
    Ubuntu Touch is supposed to be undergoing development to get it based on a more recent version of Ubuntu, but quite when that will arrive, and if it will be compatible with all currently available devices, is anybody's guess.

Beans

I use the Aquaris M10 on a daily basis. The operating system is Ubuntu Touch which is based on Ubuntu 15.04. Apart from a fair number of touch-optimised tablet apps, the M10 can also run in desktop mode if you connect a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. The desktop apps include Firefox, LibreOffice (Writer, Calc, Draw, Impress, etc), Gimp and Gedit. Updates are provided quite frequently. In tablet mode, I access the following sites without any problem: Office 365 Web App (webmail); Facebook; Youtube; BBC News; BBC Weather; Distrowatch; OMG Ubuntu; Reddit; Slashdot; The Register; Here Maps; uNav; and many more.

Ubuntu Touch's big feature is Convergence. It offers both tablet and desktop capability. It isn't yet as polished as ipad or android. However it is perfectly usable and great fun. There are also powerful tools available to enable you to write your own apps.

Another important feature is that it has a micro sd card slot which means that for a modest outlay you can increase the memory capacity by 64GB.

My M10 is definitely not for sale. I am confident that it will continue to get better. It's an exciting ride!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Just curious where you're going to buy one from. I can't find any. Seem to be out of stock here and elsewhere.

Have you spotted a used one somewhere? Curious as up for something like it myself.
    I know they are out of stock.
    Hopefully i can buy one somewhere this year.

Anyway, thanks for the reply guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I also own one and it should get Snap version of the Ubuntu. I don't know when exactly this will happen, but it will. And when it does, the tablet will become the true converged little beast. I just hope, that the processor will manage to work without bigger lags.
    At the moment, I would wait for snap to finally land and maybe some new tablets will be available after the snap version.

Cheers

Beans

if i buy this one: Acer Switch Alpha 12 SA5-271-711M.
    Can i install ubuntu on it from USB?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mus1cfreak View Post
    if i buy this one: Acer Switch Alpha 12 SA5-271-711M.
    Can i install ubuntu on it from USB?
    No you can't,because the devices are based on ARM CPU and not i386 or amd64. This means there is no automatic hardware detection. The OS must be build exactly for your specific hardware device.
    Marius ported it for some different devices. You can see them here: https://devices.ubports.com/#/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@ower1963, in general it is not possible. Take a look at https://devices.ubports.com/#/, to see which phones are currently supported. "Core" and "Legacy" are the ones that currently have ports of Ubuntu touch.
    Catalan Team: Tingueu presents les normes d'or : poseu un títol entenedor i apropiat ; digueu quina versió i variant d'Ubuntu feu servir i a quina màquina; i què heu provat abans de demanar ajut. Si s'ha resolt, marqueu [Solved].

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post

I've seen a few available in UK sites, just get them shipped from here !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast