Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: NetworkManager with LEAP support

Beans

Re: HOWTO: NetworkManager with LEAP support

Well, nm-applet is not part of the NetworkManager svn repository anymore. It needs to be checked out seperately:

svn co http://svn.gnome.org/svn/network-manager-applet/trunk network-manager-applet

Unfortunately, the latest code doesn't support wireless yet. While NetworkManager itself seems to work fine, the applet doesn't have code to get wireless working.

I tried a few older revisions (Feb 1st cvs and then the binaries by misha) on feisty, but just couldn't get LEAP working. I guess I'll wait for the cvs code to support wireless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by navsx View Post
    Well, nm-applet is not part of the NetworkManager svn repository anymore. It needs to be checked out seperately:

svn co http://svn.gnome.org/svn/network-manager-applet/trunk network-manager-applet

Unfortunately, the latest code doesn't support wireless yet. While NetworkManager itself seems to work fine, the applet doesn't have code to get wireless working.

I tried a few older revisions (Feb 1st cvs and then the binaries by misha) on feisty, but just couldn't get LEAP working. I guess I'll wait for the cvs code to support wireless.
    I am sorry you are having trouble. I am not switching to Feisty yet but when I do (not 100% sure when that will be as I remember having a fair number of problems switching from Dapper -> Edgy Beta) when I do will figure out how to get LEAP+NM to work and post here.

Misha

Beans

there is package for feisty? i can use same tar of edgy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin84 View Post
    there is package for feisty? i can use same tar of edgy?
    I woulds strongly encourage everyone to sign on here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/108369

requesting an update of Feisty's NetworkManager to 0.6.5. 0.6.5
    includes LEAP, but packaging it is not straightforward as the applet
    is separated from the rest of networkmanager unlike in previous version.

For now you can use wpa_supplicant. Just make a wpa_supplicant.conf file somewhere (I like in /etc and make it read-write for root, no read or write for everyone else since it will contain your network password in cleartext):

Code:
    ap_scan=2

network={
            ssid="your ssid"
            scan_ssid=1
            auth_alg=OPEN
            key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
            eap=LEAP
            identity="username"
            password="pass"
    }
    And then start the connection with the following commands (using your interface name instead of eth0):

Code:
    sudo wpa_supplicant -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -ieth0 -Dwext -B
    sudo dhclient eth0
    Sorry I don't have more at the moment.

Misha

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi Misha,
    I was just managing to build Feisty package of nm-0.7 from svn,
    everything seems fine except for the fact that I don't know how to get
    separeted debs for lib-nm, nm, nm applet... actually all I get is one big
    package for nm/libnm-glib/libnm-utils and one for the applet....

Hints?

thank you
    Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by robbie75 View Post
    Hi Misha,
    I was just managing to build Feisty package of nm-0.7 from svn,
    everything seems fine except for the fact that I don't know how to get
    separeted debs for lib-nm, nm, nm applet... actually all I get is one big
    package for nm/libnm-glib/libnm-utils and one for the applet....

Hints?

thank you
    Rob
    hmm... well are you using checkinstall to build these debs or how are you doing it?

Usually for a "proper" deb, you need a debian directory with all sorts of things like a rules file that tells debian (or Ubuntu) how to build the package. An easy way to do this, and how I did this for my CVS packages, is simply to get the source for the existing package:

Code:
    apt-get source network-manager
    (note this is done _without_ using sudo, as it just retrieves the source code and unpacks it into a directory). Then, you can copy the whole debian directory to the network manager SVN directory, tweak the rules file (mainly in terms of patches applied as most of the patches in the package won't apply to SVN, and some of the file names changed too like some of the manual pages). However, for this new split applet approach that network manager 0.6.5 and svn are using, much more tweaking is needed of the debian/rules files, and although I have figured out a lot of things about these files I have not yet delved in deeply enough to make these significant changes yet (and plus since LEAP support is now in an "official" release 0.6.5 it is only a matter of time before this version becomes the Ubuntu "official" version anyhow, and I would rather have someone who is a MOTU and really knows what they are doing package it anyhow).

But in any case, once you are done tweaking debian/rules and other files in the debian directory, you can compile with the dpkg-buildpackage utility, usually the following command is used:

Code:
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
    Hope that helped and was not things you already knew. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try to answer them if I am able to.

Misha

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi misha!
    Thank you for you detailed info!

Quote Originally Posted by misha680 View Post
    hmm... well are you using checkinstall to build these debs or how are you doing it?
    I'm using dh_make along with dpkg-buildpackage as explained in the first post of this thread and
    in another guide about debian packaging I've found in this forum.

Usually for a "proper" deb, you need a debian directory with all sorts of things like a rules file that tells debian (or Ubuntu) how to build the package. An easy way to do this, and how I did this for my CVS packages, is simply to get the source for the existing package:

Code:
    apt-get source network-manager
    great hint!
    I'll try that asap

(note this is done _without_ using sudo, as it just retrieves the source code and unpacks it into a directory). Then, you can copy the whole debian directory to the network manager SVN directory, tweak the rules file (mainly in terms of patches applied as most of the patches in the package won't apply to SVN, and some of the file names changed too like some of the manual pages). However, for this new split applet approach that network manager 0.6.5 and svn are using, much more tweaking is needed of the debian/rules files, and although I have figured out a lot of things about these files I have not yet delved in deeply enough to make these significant changes yet (and plus since LEAP support is now in an "official" release 0.6.5 it is only a matter of time before this version becomes the Ubuntu "official" version anyhow, and I would rather have someone who is a MOTU and really knows what they are doing package it anyhow).
    I'd really like to have the latest nm-0.7 as an official package since in that version seems to be full
    support for dial-up connections which I use very often...

But in any case, once you are done tweaking debian/rules and other files in the debian directory, you can compile with the dpkg-buildpackage utility, usually the following command is used:

Code:
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
    Hope that helped and was not things you already knew. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try to answer them if I am able to.

Misha
    Your hints are very useful to me and now I think it should be easier building the package:
    I'll let you know
    thank you again!
    Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

New packages with all the patches from the 0.6.4 included except 10, 12, 13, 14, and 16, which don't seem to apply cleanly b/c of actualy changes in the underlying code b/w 0.6.4 & 0.6.5.

Feisty debs.

Ok, here y'all go. These are feisty debs for 0.6.5 that I made after seeing so much demand, works for me with LEAP.

The debs are in the file nm-0.6.5-feisty.tar.bz2. The rest of the files are source debs for ppl who need to recompile.

Misha

p.s. You might have to do
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    twice as I had to move some stuff from network-manager-gnome in 0.6.4 to network-manager in 0.6.5 (now network-manager-gnome is just the applet).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by misha680; May 26th, 2007 at 06:04 AM. Reason: New packages with patches

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Great job Misha

Apart from leap, have you tried to connect via dial-up?
    With nm-0.6.4 I was able to do that but nm did not inform
    dbus about the dial-up connection so several apps stayed
    in disconnected mode.

On launchpad, bug 108369 I've found a nm-0.7 package
    http://librarian.launchpad.net/76524...061010.tar.bz2
    which seems a little bit more recent than the one I'm using now;
    I think I'll give it a try and let you know

Best
    Robert

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by robbie75 View Post
    Great job Misha

Apart from leap, have you tried to connect via dial-up?
    With nm-0.6.4 I was able to do that but nm did not inform
    dbus about the dial-up connection so several apps stayed
    in disconnected mode.

On launchpad, bug 108369 I've found a nm-0.7 package
    http://librarian.launchpad.net/76524...061010.tar.bz2
    which seems a little bit more recent than the one I'm using now;
    I think I'll give it a try and let you know

Best
    Robert
    I think the one on launchpad is my edge debs from the very top of this thread. Don't use dialup so I'm not sure, sorry.

Misha

p.s. Just to save anyone else time, I first tried making debs of the current svn version, but that version of the applet currently doesn't
    allow any connections to wireless networks (and prints a FIXME message to let you know that functionality is not implemented yet).
    Last edited by misha680; May 16th, 2007 at 01:28 PM.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast