Thread: [Lubuntu/LxLe Installation Error] kernel panic unable to mount root fs

Beans

Exclamation [Lubuntu/LxLe Installation Error] kernel panic unable to mount root fs

Hi,

So I'm a complete newbie on using linux. I had linux mint for awhile, then went back to windows10, and then I wanted to try LxLe which is based on Lubuntu I think.

I downloaded the iso, made bootable usbdrive. Rebooted my laptop, LxLe went live from the usbdrive. I looked around the desktop and the system functions and I quite liked it so I pressed "install LxLe". I followed all the setup guides and installation began. Towards the end an error showed up saying grub cannot be copied on to the disk or smth. (I read online that to avoid this error I have to unplug usb right before the grub installation begins, the files from usb are copied onto the disk at this point anyway). So I thought I'll reboot and start over, but then the bad things started to happen. LxLe can't start at all now, not from the disk and neither from the liveusb. It gives me error saying - "
    kernel panic VFS unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (1,0)

I can enter the command prompt by pressing "c", and the other editing mode by pressing "e". I looked online for the solution, but all of them are meant to be done from running linux system/liveusb. I can only access the minimal-bash/grub command prompt. I guess I can fix the problem by following certain commands. Any ideas how to fix this? This is my only laptop, and my flatmate is away until Monday so I can't redownload another linux distro or win10 from my cloud storage. :/
    Last edited by kamilsa; March 23rd, 2017 at 12:11 PM.

Beans

Re: [Lubuntu/LxLe Installation Error] kernel panic unable to mount root fs

Here's the screen of the error...