Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Thread: Full help with triple boot: Win 10, Ubuntu, other Linux - separate data partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Full help with triple boot: Win 10, Ubuntu, other Linux - separate data partition

I may have posted before. In several threads.

I long ago filed a bug report so a second install could have its own UEFI entry. Every install of any flavor except kubuntu overwrites /EFI/ubuntu. About the same time they updated grub to allow kubuntu as an entry.
    I have created unique entries, just be changing the default in /etc/default/grub. But it still is hard coded to find grub.cfg from /EFI/ubuntu so does not really work.
    #GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR='Ubuntu16.04_Xenial'

It looks like many distributions use this, as the efi_distributor is the variable that is the name in the UEFI entry and bootloader_id
    efi_distributor = bootloader_id;
    But Ubuntu does this for every reference of efi_distributor.

efi_distributor = "ubuntu"
    But then did the change, with just an if type statement, that if Kubuntu use kubuntu, not ubuntu.

Distributions that will boot with UEFI Secure Boot use shimx64.efi which is the shim between secure boot and grub. I believe shimx64.efi works with secure boot off, so have not understood why grubx64.efi still is added to efi menu.

Fedora also has this and they use the full grub.cfg in the ESP, not the configfile that Ubuntu uses for the full grub.cfg in /boot in the install:

Fedora
    grub2-install shouldn't be used on EFI systems. The grub2-efi package installs a prebaked grubx64.efi on the EFI System partition, which looks for grub.cfg on the ESP in /EFI/fedora/ whereas the grub2-install command creates a custom grubx64.efi, deletes the original installed one, and looks for grub.cfg in /boot/grub2/.
    alias update-grub='sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg'
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Full help with triple boot: Win 10, Ubuntu, other Linux - separate data partition

where do the 'efibootmgr' names come from?
    I believe it comes from what the label option is set to when you installed.
    I didn't label anything but ESP (sda1) when installing... none of OS's or Swap. Or, not in GPartEd, at least. Maybe somewhere else, but not remembering and notes don't show it. I'm going to create labels in GPartEd anyhow. Will see if anything changes... (not betting that way, though).

Thanks, 'Dennis N'...

Mike

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Labels on partitions are only used for default mounts instead of UUIDs.
    Some partitions I mount with fstab and label then does not matter. I have labeled partitions DATA and mounted in fstab as /mnt/data and gotten confused.
    And to add to confusion, gpt has its own labels.
    But I label partitions so I know what is in my other partitions that I do not mount.
    And a new install with format, erases labels.

To see labels:
    UUID & labels
    ls /dev/disk/by-label -lah
    sudo blkid -o list
    lsblk -f -o +PARTLABEL /dev/sda
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I didn't label anything but ESP (sda1) when installing...
    That 'label option' was a reference to whatever the installer supplies to UEFI firmware for the boot manager display label. Probably a poor choice of words on my part.

There is a label option in the efibootmgr, and you can use it in changing the display label after installation. I have done that a couple of times.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    That 'label option' was a reference to whatever the installer supplies to UEFI firmware for the boot manager display label. Probably a poor choice of words on my part.

There is a label option in the efibootmgr, and you can use it in changing the display label after installation. I have done that a couple of times.
    Thanks, 'Dennis N'... another piece to the 'efibootmgr' puzzle... changes possible (without repercussion).

Or poor choice of interpretation on my part... =]

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Krall; January 15th, 2018 at 07:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I may have posted before. In several threads.

I long ago filed a bug report so a second install could have its own UEFI entry. Every install of any flavor except kubuntu overwrites /EFI/ubuntu. About the same time they updated grub to allow kubuntu as an entry.
    I have created unique entries, just be changing the default in /etc/default/grub. But it still is hard coded to find grub.cfg from /EFI/ubuntu so does not really work.
    #GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR='Ubuntu16.04_Xenial'

It looks like many distributions use this, as the efi_distributor is the variable that is the name in the UEFI entry and bootloader_id
    But Ubuntu does this for every reference of efi_distributor.

efi_distributor = "ubuntu"
    But then did the change, with just an if type statement, that if Kubuntu use kubuntu, not ubuntu.

Distributions that will boot with UEFI Secure Boot use shimx64.efi which is the shim between secure boot and grub. I believe shimx64.efi works with secure boot off, so have not understood why grubx64.efi still is added to efi menu.

Fedora also has this and they use the full grub.cfg in the ESP, not the configfile that Ubuntu uses for the full grub.cfg in /boot in the install:

Fedora
    grub2-install shouldn't be used on EFI systems. The grub2-efi package installs a prebaked grubx64.efi on the EFI System partition, which looks for grub.cfg on the ESP in /EFI/fedora/ whereas the grub2-install command creates a custom grubx64.efi, deletes the original installed one, and looks for grub.cfg in /boot/grub2/.
    alias update-grub='sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg'
    Yes, part of this posted in this thread and I've found like-bits in other threads.

Section above on 'shimx64.efi' caused me to look. All my OS (most Ubuntu-base with Manjaro and CentOS) have 'shimx64.efi' in /boot/efi/EFI/<name> except Manjaro. Manjaro has only 'grubx64.efi'.

I have had Secure Boot off from the beginning.

CentOS booted on 'shim.efi' and 'shimx64.efi'. I still don't know how I got CentOS 'shimx64.efi'. Likely doing something I didn't understand well enough to do. I have a 'grubx64.efi' in '/boot/efi/EFI/centos', along with the two mentioned and a 'shimx64-centos.efi'. Don't know how to tell if I've got unwanted stuff or not. Feel certain I did not use 'grub2-install' command. Have used

** I want to verify... A person should do 'efibootmgr' commands from Live-USB or not necessary? Asking because I ran into a reference mentioning Live-USB and lost it... can't find it now to re-learn if it was specific to what I'm going to be messing with, or not.

Have used CentOS/Fedora/etc. version of 'update-grub'.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I've got time constraints now through ??? I don't want to risk computer booting problems until I've got open-space to fix them... that is not now. I may get some more learning/understanding done (hope to). Thank you both.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Krall; July 11th, 2018 at 04:33 AM.

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243