Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Full help with triple boot: Win 10, Ubuntu, other Linux - separate data partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Full help with triple boot: Win 10, Ubuntu, other Linux - separate data partition

I like timeout to 3 sec, so I have a chance to make a change, but not a long wait to boot into default install.

You can use set root= or the search by UUID.
    Never have understood exactly how it works with both. I assume search overrides the set root= command if UUID found.

An older grub2 did have issue with system with many drives and not finding a flash drive that was sdf or sdg and search by UUID seemed to quit looking as there was a gap or no sde. But grub uses hd0, hd1, so I may use just set root=, and then have had that not work when I have a flash drive in and have to manually edit my set root.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Re: Full help with triple boot: Win 10, Ubuntu, other Linux - separate data partition

Reboot to Ubuntu-unity and Grub boot menu is same as Manjaro (all custom except what Manjaro '10_linux' adds to end... Manjaro w/ advanced menu option. I would have thought I would see Ubuntu-unity view of the world (enabled '30_os-prober').
    If you see the custom entries, then that is not Ubuntu's grub menu (unless you added them to Ubuntu as well). You've booted into Manjaro again.
    To have /boot/grub/grub.cfg NOT have a ton of entries, I should uncomment 'GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true' there, and in other OS's... yes?
    Maybe. GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER= is not in Ubuntu's /etc/default/grub, so you can't uncomment it. If you add it, it might work. I run in terminal sudo chmod -x 30_os-prober to disable it.
    * Does it seem better to make all OS 'GRUB_TIMEOUT=-1', also... ???
    No. Grub settings on the target OS are not active - unless you follow Watson - in that case, if target OS also has that setting, then 2nd grub menu would also pause.

Beans
    Distro

I awoke in a dream...

Yesterday morning I booted to CentOS and got a "couldn't find..." error. Looking found a custom-menu entry that CentOS could not possibly boot from. It was late when I finished building and 'cp' and 'update-grub' on CentOS. I must not have tried to boot into it.

This is 'Dennis N' / J.A.Watson-type from Post # 279 ( https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....9#post13698629 )
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    menuentry 'KORORA 26 menu' {
    insmod part_gpt 
    insmod fat
    set root='hd1,gpt4'
    chainloader /EFI/fedora/shim.efi 
    }
    After fixing, this is my current custom-menuentry for CentOS:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    menuentry 'CentOS (on /dev/sda10)' {
    insmod part_gpt 
    insmod fat
    set root='hd0,gpt10'
    chainloader /EFI/centos/shim.efi 
    }
    It doesn't boot CentOS... error is "can't find /EFI/centos/shim.efi" I tried with both 30_os-prober on and off. I've redone: check-menuentry... 'cp'... check... make executable... check... reboot... 'update-grub'... check in Manjaro /boot/grub/grub.cfg... try boot, three times. The parts are correct as I understand them... lower case name of OS... my CentOS is on /dev/sda10. I tried using the whole path in 'chainloader' line with error "not finding /boot/efi/EFI/centos/shim.efi"

I've looked around for understanding (not as much as I can, and will). Any thoughts on why not working or steps I may have missed and/or not done correctly?

Mike

EDIT: Thought a thing right after posting... no time to work on now. I may have done all the CentOS custom-menuentry with GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true uncommented in Manjaro. Rather, I don't have notes or a clear recollection of that line being commented out. I've no idea if that would make a difference.
    Last edited by Mike Krall; November 17th, 2017 at 05:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you have two drives which drive are you booting from.
    I only recently got Fedora to install to the ESP on sdb with install on sdb.
    But I normally boot Ubuntu from sda or hd0 in grub.

Drive may then be seen as hd0 when directly booting sdb's ESP but seen as hd1 if booting a grub in ESP on sda.
    I get this issue a lot as I directly boot ISO on either sda or sdb and normally boot sda, but then my sdb entries change, often if I plug in a flash drive making the entries on sdb, or hd1 become hd2. Keeps me confused, regularly.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

It doesn't boot CentOS... error is "can't find /EFI/centos/shim.efi"
    There is a mistake in the menu entry:

set root='hd0,gpt10' should be set to the EFI system partition where CentOS installed its grub bootloader files.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, 'oldfred'... Thanks, 'Dennis N'

I'm going to have to look around for more understanding on why CentOS chainloader menuentry wants 'set root=' to be /efi/boot partition. Every time I look at it, my brain goes, "No, wait..."

Really long day in town today. Just got this done and in:
    Code:
    menuentry 'CentOS (on /dev/sda10)' {
    insmod part_gpt 
    insmod fat
    set root='hd0,gpt1'
    chainloader /EFI/centos/shim.efi
    }
    Works just fine now. I'd have never gotten this figured out. Thank you both again.

To note: CentOS is the only of the 7-OS not working with Manjaro /etc/default/grub GRUB_DEFAULT=saved... GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true. Selecting CentOS from boot menu moves to UEFI menu with hi-light on most recent kernel version. I assume a newer installed version will be the one hi-lighted.

Mike

Beans

I'm going to have to look around for more understanding on why CentOS chainloader menuentry wants 'set root=' to be /efi/boot partition.
    chainload hands off boot process to another boot loader, while direct boot boots a linux kernel in target system.
    To note: CentOS is the only of the 7-OS not working with Manjaro /etc/default/grub GRUB_DEFAULT=saved... GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true.
    With any menu entry of that type the savedefault seems to be ignored. Explanation unknown.
    Selecting CentOS from boot menu moves to UEFI menu...
    Just so I understand correctly:
    boot menu: do you mean Manjaro grub menu?
    UEFI menu: do you mean CentOS grub menu?
    ...with hi-light on most recent kernel version. I assume a newer installed version will be the one hi-lighted.
    You are correct on that. Verify this by the kernel version numbers in the menu entry.

Beans
    Distro

Just so I understand correctly:
    boot menu: do you mean Manjaro grub menu?
    UEFI menu: do you mean CentOS grub menu?
    Power up... Manjaro menu screen w/ title "GNU GRUB Version 2.03". This screen has Manjaro 'savedefault' function... green hi-light of last used OS (not if CentOS last OS). Arrow to CentOS... 'Enter'... new screen (no title) w/ list of CentOS choices (like listed in CentOS '10_linux'... newest... next newest... oldest... 'rescue') (CentOS GRUB_DISABLE_OS-PROBER=true is uncommented).

Perhaps should have said "Grub boot menu"... yes? Don't know where I got "UEFI menu". Maybe from getting same menu for CentOS when the only way to boot it was: Power up... 'esc' (to UEFI boot menu)... arrow to CentOS... 'Enter' (Get same choices as mentioned (same screen... 'no title'... same list... same font.))
    chainload hands off boot process to another boot loader, while direct boot boots a linux kernel in target system.
    I get this (in theory). Thank you.
    With any menu entry of that type the savedefault seems to be ignored. Explanation unknown.
    After looking at the 'no savedefault function' for a while, I guessed it was bypassing Grub (or Grub protocol, or process, or ???) and going directly to /EFI/centos/shim.efi (for CentOS... Ubuntu-types use shimx64.efi., I think... Manjaro grubx64.efi ).

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Krall; November 19th, 2017 at 09:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro

From Post # 361... top of this page..

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I like timeout to 3 sec, so I have a chance to make a change, but not a long wait to boot into default install.
    I turn on my computer and start day dreaming... getting whatever-OS I was in last, whether I want it or not. And sometimes, it seems, having the menu staring back causes me to think about what I actually want, or need, or ought to do... works.
    You can use set root= or the search by UUID.
    Never have understood exactly how it works with both. I assume search overrides the set root= command if UUID found.
    Is this the "search by UUID" you mean?
    Code:
    if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
              search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos6 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos6 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos6  f52a4cdd-befe-4197-82dc-18a34eacf783
            else
              search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root f52a4cdd-befe-4197-82dc-18a34eacf783
            fi
    I ran into this... has a little to say about the use of both 'set root=' and search UUID... see Post 2 and 4
    https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/grub-2-when-why-i-need-both-in-grub-cfg-%3B-set-root%3D-and-search-set%3Droot-4175416157/#post4726377"]https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...7/#post4726377
    Whole thing...
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/8332...xy-in-grub-cfg
    There's a little thing under "Chain loading" a short way down this:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/l...2-2/index.html

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Krall; November 20th, 2017 at 07:29 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes that is the search commands.
    Often the short cut boot commands we use in 40_custom do not include search but just a set root=. But then using device like that can cause issues. I have skipped a SATA port and second or third drive can change device settings if flash drive plugged in.

I used to use chain loading with grub legacy. I had one grub partition with my manually configured grub and each install had grub in PBR - partition boot sector. Grub2 is larger and they now have to convert to blocklists to fit a version of grub2 into a PBR. And blocklists are not reliable.

I have (had) a like to a Linux site that the expert had over 100 installs on two drives all chain loaded with grub legacy.
    chainboot 145 systems - saikee
    http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showt...282#post861282

Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast