Thread: thunderbird

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

thunderbird

Thunderbird won't accept my yahoo password. I have checked it several times, rebooted still no. It does my hotmail and gmail easily Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: thunderbird

Some email providers -- from memory, I think Yahoo is one of them -- seek to discourage you from using third-party email clients like Thunderbird. They prefer you to manage your email either via their webmail pages or via their own apps. This allows them (I believe) to add extra security features.

Therefore it's probably worth logging in to your account via the Yahoo website and checking this. I guess there's something in the Help menu about it. I seem to recall I had to go into the settings for my account and tick a box allowing the use of 'less secure applications' (which is how they think of Thunderbird).

Don't take Thunderbird error messages too literally. In my experience, if for any reason it is unable to connect to your account it will still give the same message about the need to check your password. In all probability your password is fine: the real problem may well be the server settings, or even something as simple as a lost connection to the internet (though in your case, since everything else is working, I don't think that's likely).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Wow thanks! I had never used Thunderbird so assumed that was the issue. I even changed my yahoo password 3x. As soon as I allowed unsecured apps in yahoo it worked. Kind of ironic since yahoo leaked everyone's stuff recently and they consider Thunderbird unsecured.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think Yahoo also has an option where you can set a password specifically for when you use Thunderbird.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog