Thread: Libre Office does not show installed printers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Libre Office does not show installed printers.

I use ubuntu 16.04 with libreofffice 5.3. I have 2 printers attached one via usb and the other via network. Both work well on all software installed on computer apart from libreoffice. No printers are shown other than "generic" and "print to file". I have uninstalled printers and reinstalled them, I have checked my profile but still no success. Any advice would be appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Libre Office does not show installed printers.

1. Make and model of printers?
    2. List of apps that do print?
    3. How did you install LibreOffice? Default LibreOffice for 16.04 s/b 5.1.6.2. How did you get 5.3?
    4. Is there anything else non-default about your install? ie custom kernel, added PPAs, apps installed directly from .debs, etc.
    5. Please post output of:
      Code:
      lpstat -t
      Code:
      uname -a
      Code:
      lsusb

When asking for help, such details are essential, plus whatever else you can think of that is not default.

Beans

One possibility is that some aspect of OP's profile has gone wonky.

Maybe OP could try renaming ~/.config/libreoffice to something else after closing LibreOffice completely and making sure that there's no soffice process running.

If a restart of LibreOffice doesn't improve things, OP can revert to the original folder name.

Edit:

This relates to a snap install and so I don't know whether it's relevant: Snap package: LO doesn't see the printer

This relates to an older version on Windows: LibreOffice Writer 4.3.5.2 No default printer found message and can't print.
    Last edited by vasa1; March 13th, 2017 at 06:37 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

+1 to vasa1's strategy.

@OP

I have a suspicion that you may have installed by snap since your version is not the default. Is this so?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    I have a suspicion that you may have installed by snap since your version is not the default. Is this so?
    OP may have installed via a ppa. Something like http://ppa.launchpad.net/libreoffice/ppa/ubuntu? That would be one route to getting version 5.3.

OP has a thread here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2351605
    Last edited by vasa1; March 13th, 2017 at 06:52 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I ask for that info in my initial reply, but yes. That PPA is how I have installed 5.3. However, I can print.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    +1

You can tell if it is the snap version by going to the help menu and selecting "About" - the dialogue box will contain the word snap in the version detail, ie

Attachment 274115

whereas the deb package will not and look like..

Attachment 274116

I can confirm the snap package only contains the "Print to file" and "generic printer" options - not picking up the system printers. Not sure how to fix it though, if indeed you can.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    I can confirm the snap package only contains the "Print to file" and "generic printer" options - not picking up the system printers. Not sure how to fix it though, if indeed you can.
    A bug report is here: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/....cgi?id=105993 with this workaround
    Code:
    sudo snap connect libreoffice:cups-control :cups-control

The package should enable the cups-control interface automatically.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    A bug report is here: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/....cgi?id=105993 with this workaround
    Thanks vasa1, very cool.

The suggested "fix" works perfectly.

Code:
    sudo snap connect libreoffice:cups-control :cups-control
    The LibreOffice snap package drops the generic printer and picks up the system printer perfectly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks to DuckHook, vasa1 and howefield for all responses Yes I did install libreoffice by snap . I ran the cups code as you suggested and all works OK. However I had to omit the last " :cups-control" as it was not being accepted as you had suggested. Terminal would only accept "sudo snap connect libreoffice:cups-control"
    Many thanks to all who got me up and running.