Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why my laptop doesn’t accept/allow linux installation? Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Why my laptop doesn’t accept/allow linux installation? Linux

Hi Sudodus,
    And finally, installation successful !
    I followed your instructions as well from this post https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1872303.
    -Dual boot is activated
    -cpu usase : 1 % in idle, around 41 % when video is playing.
    -Ram usage:152 % in idle, around 430 MB when video is playing.

First off all i would like to thank you for the support, as well as the other people in this forum.

Basically i made some mistakes which i will state below.
    I will start with a conclusion: I assume that unsuccessful trial session with the acer notebook was a short of hardware failure either with ram modules, motherboard or both. Although the machine is working with win xp and win7, operation is somehow slow which is probably due to those issues. However, I suppose that possible installation would be successful but i didn’t go further. Perhaps i will check this when time available.

Now, installation was done twice (although the first was also successful) in order to reset partition volumes . But i have some doubts about possible mistakes i did during the second install:
    1. Swap. After partitioning as you described, and during installation, i set root files ext4 and mount / but was no other option for swap, which was only set before, during partitioning. Is swap installed to its place or to the root partition?
    2. Bootloader. In the final screen for bootloader instead of choosing the HDD for than, i chose again the root partition and pressed ‘install’. Is bootloader installed correctly in this case or also installed in root partition?
    Note:Before second installation, i deleted the partitions created before (with lubuntu installed) and restarted the proccedure from the beginning. In the meantime i tried to boot windows, but couldn’t start, as bootloader was erased (normal?). After installing again Lubuntu dual boot option is effective.
    Is there a way to verify the above or better reinstall ?
    Here are a few screenshots.
    I couldn't edit photos. i clarify here: partitioning scheme photo no 214610
    a look at the disks '' '' 125125
    the system folders '' '' 124741

Thank you in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by timomak; April 20th, 2017 at 11:34 AM. Reason: mistakes

Beans
    Hidden!

Lightbulb Re: Why my laptop doesn’t accept/allow linux installation? Linux

Quote Originally Posted by timomak View Post
    Hi Sudodus,
    And finally, installation successful !
    I followed your instructions as well from this post https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1872303.
    -Dual boot is activated
    -cpu usase : 1 % in idle, around 41 % when video is playing.
    -Ram usage:152 % in idle, around 430 MB when video is playing.

First off all i would like to thank you for the support, as well as the other people in this forum.

Basically i made some mistakes which i will state below.
    I will start with a conclusion: I assume that unsuccessful trial session with the acer notebook was a short of hardware failure either with ram modules, motherboard or both. Although the machine is working with win xp and win7, operation is somehow slow which is probably due to those issues. However, I suppose that possible installation would be successful but i didn’t go further. Perhaps i will check this when time available.

Now, installation was done twice (although the first was also successful) in order to reset partition volumes . But i have some doubts about possible mistakes i did during the second install:
    1. Swap. After partitioning as you described, and during installation, i set root files ext4 and mount / but was no other option for swap, which was only set before, during partitioning. Is swap installed to its place or to the root partition?
    2. Bootloader. In the final screen for bootloader instead of choosing the HDD for than, i chose again the root partition and pressed ‘install’. Is bootloader installed correctly in this case or also installed in root partition?
    Note:Before second installation, i deleted the partitions created before (with lubuntu installed) and restarted the proccedure from the beginning. In the meantime i tried to boot windows, but couldn’t start, as bootloader was erased (normal?). After installing again Lubuntu dual boot option is effective.
    Is there a way to verify the above or better reinstall ?
    Here are a few screenshots.
    I couldn't edit photos. i clarify here: partitioning scheme photo no 214610
    a look at the disks '' '' 125125
    the system folders '' '' 124741

Thank you in advance
    There is swap according to your screenshots.

The bootloader should be installed to the (head of) drive /dev/sdx, not to a partition /dev/sdxn. But it works, so somehow you got it right.

please mark the thread as SOLVED

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Why my laptop doesn’t accept/allow linux installation? Linux

Perfect.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345