Thread: Installed Ubuntu version of PulseAudio on Debian; can't upgrade.

Beans

Installed Ubuntu version of PulseAudio on Debian; can't upgrade.

Hello.

So, a few years ago I wanted to use Skype on my Debian KDE system, but the sound wasn't working. I found out it was because PulseAudio wasn't installed, and at the time PulseAudio wasn't yet available for Debian. However, there was an Ubuntu version available, (just like Skype,) so, stupidly, I installed it. Nowadays, I'm stuck on Debian 8 Jessie and if I want to upgrade to Stretch or Sid, it bteaks the system by removing a lot of essential packages. I've tried tons of aptitude and apt-get combinations and so far nothing has fixed it. I understand it's good to have a stable Jessie system, but I'm afraid that by the time the latest stuff from Stretch or Sid hits Jessie, they still won't work. Trying to remove libpulse0 does the same thing as trying to upgrade, (i.e. breaks the system by removing vast parts of it,) and removing the PulseAudio dummy pqckage just makes the sound not work anymore.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,
    M260.

Beans

Re: Installed Ubuntu version of PulseAudio on Debian; can't upgrade.

Thread moved to the "Debian" forum.

Beans

Re: Installed Ubuntu version of PulseAudio on Debian; can't upgrade.

How did you install it? Do you have Synaptic and if you do a search does it show? It must have been "more than a few years ago" because pulseaudio has been available since Squeeze(?)