Thread: No headphone sound in HP Spectre x360 13-w030ca Ubuntu 16.10

Beans

Question No headphone sound in HP Spectre x360 13-w030ca Ubuntu 16.10

Hello!

I've been struggling for several days with this issue. According to many posts the HP Spectre x360 works great with 16.10 and it does but this is the only problem i have (although a big one). Plugging in the headphones make speakers mute (ok) but no sound ever comes out from the headphones. I have Dual Boot with Windows 10 with Fast Startup disabled and headphone works ok in Windows (last Realtek drivers installed) so hardware problem is discarded.

Some more info
    • The laptop detects when the jack is connected and disables speakers. I can "see the sound" in headphones section with pavucontrol and all seems right with alsamixer, no muted stuff
    • Tried changes with hdaJackRetask, alsa-base.conf and alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-headphones.conf but just trying my luck with those since it's not clear what should i change
    • I also tried reinstalling alsa and pulseaudio

My alsa info http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=2b...7cd776c87009c6

Any clues on this? I'm totally lost...

Thanks everyione!

Beans

Re: No headphone sound in HP Spectre x360 13-w030ca Ubuntu 16.10

I had exactly the same problem with my Spectre x360. It got already frustrating until I found a suggestion here to add to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf the following line
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=auto
    restarted the machine, and now the headphones work fine.
    Last edited by davidquantum; March 5th, 2017 at 02:17 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion, that was one of the first things i tried. I even tried with model=laptop, hp or generic

I tried it again now restarting too but no luck, we must have different Spectre models i guess...

Beans

You probably already have already done it, but just in case, I had to do those steps first as well: http://askubuntu.com/questions/71623...p-spectre-x360

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Nothing to contribute to the solution, but just wanted to let the OP know they are not crazy: I have basically exactly the same setup (13-w030ca, ubuntu 16.10, windows dual boot with hardware working in windows) and the mentioned candidate solutions do not work for me either. Pllugging headphones in turns off speakers, but nothing comes through headphones. (same problem in kernels 4.8 and 4.10, however 4.10 gets auto-rotation working)

Beans

Thanks again davidquantum and pantherattack,

I also read about the grub config but didn't want to mess around with grub since that solution mentioned a different sound card and Spectre model. Did you try that too, pantherattack?

It really seems a problem with this later model... i couldn't care less about auto-rotation but i need music to program!

Beans

Has anyone tried some bluetooth headphones? That'd be another option but not sure if this model will have problems too!

EDIT> BT headphones work ok.
    Last edited by destevez; March 9th, 2017 at 08:08 PM.

Beans

Unhappy Re: No headphone sound in HP Spectre x360 13-w030ca Ubuntu 16.10

So did anyone find a fix? I can't even use bluetooth earphones since my bluetooth doesn't work either :/ I'm still on kernel 4.8.6