Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scanner not recognised

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Scanner not recognised

Thank you everyone! Actually, once I looked in the printer rather than in the computer, it was very easy to find. I put it in the terminal and the installation process was complete.

And... drumroll... xsane no longer tells me that there is no device available. It now tells me there was an error opening it. A non-valid parameter (paramètre non valable). Which is progress I guess. It just doesn't tell me which parameter is invalid. Good job I'm not totally desperate to use the scanner, only a little bit. As it is, I still find the whole thing amusing and interesting, rather than frustrating (which happens when I really need something to work and it doesn't).

So I tried simplescan instead of xsane (you never know). It first looked fine, but then said "connection to scanning device impossible" (again, my translation). But simple scan also used to say that there is no scanning device. So at least they now seem to know it's there.

Where do I go from here?

Beans
    Distro

I posted a reply maybe 20 minutes ago and it's marked that I have on the thread (last post by lila), but it doesn't seem to appear. Sorry if this a the same thing again.

So, thank you everyone for all your input. I found the IP address easily (once I was looking on the printer), and finished the installation without further problems.

Now both xsane and simple scan no longer tell me they can't find a scanning device. Instead they tell me they can't connect to it. Simple scan simply says "Connection impossible", x-sane says something about an invalid parameter. but it doesn't specify which parameter. Both say they are trying to connect to DCP-J562DW, so that's progress.

Now what do I do?

Beans
    Distro

Here's another good source of info - - that may be easier to follow than just text based forums.

Watch each video in turn and take notes. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...-J5620DW+Linux
    Last edited by Geoffrey_Arndt; March 7th, 2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: betta display
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans

so lila we hope some progress is slowly being made;

in post #3 Gifford suggested you try the Brother command in a terminal that is in the format of

Code:
    Brsaneconfig4 -a name=(name your device) model=(model name) ip=xx.xx.xx.xx
    so that might look something like
    Code:
    Brsaneconfig4 -a name=Lila_scanner model=DCP-J562DW ip=xx.xx.xx.xx
    ....... where you add the IP address;

Brother quote the above on this page http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/li...en&redirect=on

bonne chance

(I was hoping the Brother installer tool would be able to issue the above command but it seems valuable to do it manually)
    Last edited by slickymaster; March 9th, 2017 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Swapped quote for code tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Lila,
    Please try the configuration as outlined in the above listing by pdc. Hoping this will fix the issues you are having.
    In my experience, using the terminal and command line to install Brother printers and scanners has always worked. Not so with
    the Brother installer tool.

Beans
    Distro

OK, did some more checking why scanner is being "problematic" (as I think you've done everything right so far).

So, here is another youtube video about Brother Scanner that shows what to do to overcome a "bug" in Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10. The problem is a missing file that is required for the scanner to work.

The video shows how to take care of this problem. Please let us know if the scanner is working after doing this procedure. (and if so, please mark this thread as "Solved" by using the thread tools in the upper menu).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci0TkfdXGUQ

Danke

GG
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans

good work; well researched Geoffrey; I remember some posts now ........ the little grey cells are failing ............ https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....t=libusb-0.1-4

checking in our install of Mint, I see that it is standard in Mint ....... must be optional for Ubuntu

if you check Lila if libusb-0.1-4 is installed; if not, see if that is the magic we all need

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pdc View Post
    so lila we hope some progress is slowly being made;

in post #3 Gifford suggested you try the Brother command in a terminal that is in the format of

so that might look something like ....... where you add the IP address;

Brother quote the above on this page http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/li...en&redirect=on

bonne chance

(I was hoping the Brother installer tool would be able to issue the above command but it seems valuable to do it manually)

Hello everyone,
    thanks again for all your help!
    I'll try to work through it all until it's sorted out. This sounded like it might do the trick. But when I ran it, it returned:
    Brsaneconfig4*: commande introuvable (Command cannot be found).

Also, REALLY strange, yesterday I did that whole setting up thing where I needed the printer's IP address which you all told me how to find on the printer's display. And while it was a very memorable (too easy) suite of numbers, just now I wasn't sure about where the dots went, so I looked it up again. And today, it gives me a completely different (much more random) IP address. ????? Surely, that's not normal?

Anyway, yesterday I used one IP address, and just now a completely different one. I'm not surprised it doesn't work. I've written this one down on a piece of paper. Just in case it changes again. I found them both in the same place in the settings menu, I remember the pathway. It's definitely changed since yesterday.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pdc View Post
    good work; well researched Geoffrey; I remember some posts now ........ the little grey cells are failing ............ https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....t=libusb-0.1-4

checking in our install of Mint, I see that it is standard in Mint ....... must be optional for Ubuntu

if you check Lila if libusb-0.1-4 is installed; if not, see if that is the magic we all need

Yes, according to synaptic, libusb-0.1-4 is installed. But talking about usb, I still have no cable, so that probably doesn’t make a difference? I simply haven't had the time to get one during store opening hours. I deal with the computer once my kid is asleep... Am I wasting everybody's time here in trying to sort the problem without a cable (via wifi)? If you say yes, I'll go and get one tomorrow lunchtime.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey_Arndt View Post
    OK, did some more checking why scanner is being "problematic" (as I think you've done everything right so far).

So, here is another youtube video about Brother Scanner that shows what to do to overcome a "bug" in Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10. The problem is a missing file that is required for the scanner to work.

The video shows how to take care of this problem. Please let us know if the scanner is working after doing this procedure. (and if so, please mark this thread as "Solved" by using the thread tools in the upper menu).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci0TkfdXGUQ

Danke

GG
    Thanks for that, I watched it, it wants me to install the same libusb that pdc wanted me to go check if I have it. It's already there. And yes, I will mark this thread as solved in the end... when it is. I'm confident we'll get there!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast