Thread: Missing WiFi - Dell XPS 15 9550 - Broadcom Limited BCM43602 802.11ac

Beans

Unhappy Missing WiFi - Dell XPS 15 9550 - Broadcom Limited BCM43602 802.11ac

Hi

Posting here as a last resort.

2 days ago I upgraded from 16.04 to 16.10. Something went wrong, icons went missing and my background was white, I fixed it by continuing the dist upgrade via terminal.

Everything was working for about a day, and then the next time I rebooted my computer there was no WiFi. When I go to Settings > Network there is nothing

I looked around online and tried the suggestions I could find. Enabled and disabled secure boot again, purged bcmwl-kernel-source, tried firmware-b43-installer, went back to bcmwl-kernel-source.

I have attached the wireless-info script results, but here are a few brief details as well

Code:
    ~ uname -r
    4.8.0-39-generic
    ~ lspci -nn -d 14e4:
    02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Limited BCM43602 802.11ac Wireless LAN SoC [14e4:43ba] (rev 01)
    ~ sudo lshw -C network
      *-network                 
           description: Network controller
           product: BCM43602 802.11ac Wireless LAN SoC
           vendor: Broadcom Limited
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
           version: 01
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
           configuration: driver=wl latency=0
           resources: irq:16 memory:dd800000-dd807fff memory:dd400000-dd7fffff
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Campster; March 2nd, 2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Marked as SOLVED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Missing WiFi - Dell XPS 15 9550 - Broadcom Limited BCM43602 802.11ac

Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

iface dsl-provider inet ppp
    pre-up /bin/ip link set wlp2s0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
    provider dsl-provider

auto wlp2s0
    iface wlp2s0 inet manual
    This is your /etc/network/interfaces file. First, do you really have DSL authentication required for wireless only and not ethernet? I suspect that you got these from some forum post and really don't require them. If you do have DSL, the by far better way to accomplish authentication is in the router or DSL modem.

Second, the 'iface wlp2s0 inet manual' line is meaningless. It probably should read 'static' and not manual, and then the address, gateway, SSID, password, etc. need to be declared. It isn't. I suggest that you edit the file to return it to its default state:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    Then let Network Manager do its job. If NM doesn't see your connection, then something else is wrong and putting random lines in /etc/network/interfaces isn't going to fix it.

And, as we see, something else IS wrong:
    Code:
    [    3.050625]  [<ffffffffc1988084>] wl_module_init+0x84/0x1000 [wl]
    That type of entry in the message log usually means that there is a problem loading and initializing the module. I think it has trouble initiating because it's the wrong driver! http://askubuntu.com/questions/88429...-pro-dual-boot

Please try:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    Reboot and then:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe brcmfmac
    If the wireless doesn't start immediately, let's check the log for clues (firmware?):
    Code:
    dmesg | grep brcm
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Re: Missing WiFi - Dell XPS 15 9550 - Broadcom Limited BCM43602 802.11ac

Hi

Thanks so much for your help.

It's working now, sorry I was testing a bunch of different DSL accounts on my laptop, but I thought I turned it off after I was done.

Thanks thanks thanks you just made my evening!