Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Old Lubuntu 16.04

Beans

Good Old Lubuntu 16.04

Hey All,

I acquired an old COMPAQ Presario CQ56 laptop with an Intel Celeron 900 single core processor (2.2GHz) and 4.0GB memory.

Originally came with Windows 7 64bit so I figured it would run most Linux distros.
    I tried several different ones and just couldn't get any of them to run without freezing issues.

Not willing to give up I decided to pull out my DVD of Lubuntu 16.04 64bit and install it and see if it would run without issues.
    Right out of the box it booted up and went to the install screen where I then started the install without any problems.

What surprised me was it never ask to connect my wireless adapter until after the install of Lubuntu had finished.
    After a restart I connected my wifi and updated which again updates installed without any issues.

I don't understand why it worked out that way as I've always been ask to connect wireless adapter at the start of an install.

Anyway all appears to be working well so I will see how it goes.
    Just thought I would let it be known that when all other distros don't want to run don't give up give Lubuntu a try.

The PoorGuy
    Last edited by poorguy; February 28th, 2017 at 01:54 PM.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Re: Good Old Lubuntu 16.04

Yup. The mainline Linux distros have become so bloated that I actually lost interest to some degree and started to play with Slackware and OpenBSD.

Small, simple, fast. KISS.

Beans

I Agree the lightweight distros do everything that the big mainstream flagship distros do without all of the unnecessary software.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!

+1

I like Lubuntu too, and not only in old computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Great to hear it worked!

Does Lubuntu usually ask to connect to the Internet during installation?

I know Ubuntu has the option of running updates and installing proprietary codecs during the installation and those 2 pieces requires Internet access. Could it be Lubuntu either doesn't offer this, or you didn't select it and so the installation knew everything was on the disk?

Lucky your system can handle 64bit. Even with the slow processor, it's getting harder to find up-to-date 32bit distributions anymore.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    …it's getting harder to find up-to-date 32bit distributions anymore.
    +1

…and especially with a non-PAE kernel. But there is Bodhi.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Great to hear it worked!

Does Lubuntu usually ask to connect to the Internet during installation?

I know Ubuntu has the option of running updates and installing proprietary codecs during the installation and those 2 pieces requires Internet access. Could it be Lubuntu either doesn't offer this, or you didn't select it and so the installation knew everything was on the disk?

Lucky your system can handle 64bit. Even with the slow processor, it's getting harder to find up-to-date 32bit distributions anymore.
    First time I ever installed Lubuntu on a laptop and saw to no prompt to connect at the start of the install.

All other Linux distros I've done on laptops using wireless always gave me a prompt to connect at the start of the install.
    When the install completed and after restart wireless adapter was detecting available networks and I had no problems connecting.

Yep Lubuntu 16.04 is A-OK and it all turned out very well.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

yes guys here running lxde on brand new machine with good specs ... fast and simple is the way i like it too :]
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Yup. The mainline Linux distros have become so bloated that I actually lost interest to some degree and started to play with Slackware and OpenBSD.

Small, simple, fast. KISS.
    This word 'bloated' I see around a lot when reading Linux forums. What are we actually referring to here? Too many installed applications? Too much needless eye candy? Too many processes? If one's computer has the RAM it's immaterial isn't it? There are lighter distros for those that don't.

Beans

I first heard the term "bloatware" used as unnecessary software that computer manufacturers install to monitor and run everything on their factory prebuilt computers.
    That was long ago from my Microsoft Windows days.

I guess "bloat / bloated" in Linux distros is all of the software that comes with any of the mainstream big flagship Linux distros that will never get used or even looked at and is there for the end-users in mind that may need to use it.

I have minimal computer needs so I don't need much and prefer to install only what software is needed and no more.

Eye candy is cool but unnecessary just plain simple menus is all I really need but for others that may be to boring.
    Last edited by poorguy; March 1st, 2017 at 04:07 PM.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast