Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installation questions

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Installation questions

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    16.10 is definitely a good choice but I recommend a fresh install (not an online upgrade) when support runs out.
    Why is that?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

You already have my opinion at hand: Second link in my signature.
    If you install Buntu 17.10 remember to download a new ISO file.

Old ISO files might contain a bug which can damage UEFI hardware. Updating an existing installation and upgrading to 17.10 (if one has faith in upgrades in general) are safe.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by natesnape View Post
    Originally Posted by mörgæs
    16.10 is definitely a good choice but I recommend a fresh install (not an online upgrade) when support runs out.

Why is that?
    An online upgrade can be problematic where a fresh install most of the time will install and run without problems although problems can happen with fresh installs. No guarantees.
    Dell Optiplex 360 (11/28/2008) / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 Conroe (1.86 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 2M Cache, LGA 775 Socket) / DDR2 Memory 3.0 GB, 800 MHz FSB / Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE [G72] PCIE.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    An online upgrade can be problematic where a fresh install most of the time will install and run without problems although problems can happen with fresh installs. No guarantees.
    If I do a fresh install I'll loose all my installed apps right?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If I do a fresh install I'll loose all my installed apps right
    Yes, but they should be pretty simple to reinstall them I would just make a note of the ones you use the most and just install them again

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoss View Post
    Yes, but they should be pretty simple to reinstall them I would just make a note of the ones you use the most and just install them again
    That's a bit odd, that might be the reason why most of you guys recommends the LTS version.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by natesnape View Post
    That's a bit odd, that might be the reason why most of you guys recommends the LTS version.
    Not completely. LTS releases are generally more stable. They are around for a lot longer and therefore that is only logical. Recommended for any situation where you can't afford or have downtime; i.e. work computer (production machines) and any machine that must be stable and reliable. Interims can be a tad 'experimental'.

Whatever might be the case in Windows-world, the latest is NOT always the greatest here. There's really not much difference between 16.04 LTS and 16.10 (apart from the extra support). You will not be updating interim releases, you will be upgrading the OS, as in replacing 16.10 with the next. Net upgrades, as mentioned, can be problematic, especially if your machine is a long way from 'vanilla', i.e. you have added PPAs and drivers, etc ...

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Not completely. LTS releases are generally more stable. They are around for a lot longer and therefore that is only logical. Recommended for any situation where you can't afford or have downtime; i.e. work computer (production machines) and any machine that must be stable and reliable. Interims can be a tad 'experimental'.

Whatever might be the case in Windows-world, the latest is NOT always the greatest here. There's really not much difference between 16.04 LTS and 16.10 (apart from the extra support). You will not be updating interim releases, you will be upgrading the OS, as in replacing 16.10 with the next. Net upgrades, as mentioned, can be problematic, especially if your machine is a long way from 'vanilla', i.e. you have added PPAs and drivers, etc ...

Good luck.
    Thank's for the info, I'm using Lubuntu right now, and have followed the steps on https://sites.google.com/site/easyli.../first-lubuntu on how to install ubuntu extras, I was able to do the process up to sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg and my name on the terminal appeared, however when I tried to click the link on how to install JAVA, my PC froze, I waiting for 10 minutes and nothing happened? Restarted my PC, installed JAVA, however I want to know if there's a way to check if those other items where installed, restricted and playing encrypted DVD's, can I run those command again to try and install them?

My bad, Tried to rerun the commands and everything was installed correctly, I hope. Had an issue with Nvidia as well, tried to install the graphics driver from Additional Drivers, and after I restarted my PC my resolution was 640x480, did a quick googling and was able to resolve it via re-running the installation via the command line. I was able to install Chrome, and Spotify, tried to install Midori as well but the videos are not working will look on that later, so far so good.
    Last edited by howefield; May 22nd, 2017 at 04:27 PM. Reason: posts combined.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

As mentioned the LTS releases are the ones with the longest support with that said, for anyone coming to Linux as a new user and installing let's say 16.10, and having to upgrade a few months down the road can be problematic so we just try to save you the trouble of having to do that

Beans
    Hidden!

I suggest that you start from Lubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, the first point release (the .1 in the version number). It has the same kernel series as the original 16.04 LTS (the xenial or 4.4 series), it is debugged and polished, and needs less updating and upgrading. An alternative is Lubuntu 16.04.2 LTS (with the yakkety or 4.8 kernel series). The application program versions are pretty much the same in these two point releases. 16.04.2 LTS needs even less updating & upgrading after installation. Try them live, and install the one that works best with your computer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast