Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Ubuntu slowly degenerating?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is Ubuntu slowly degenerating?

To be absolutely honest a part of my problems have been caused by memory problems above 1435 MB. I had a not explainable problem 1-2 times per week. So I did not worry too much about it, till I decides to run a memory test. Now I have declared that defective part of memory as badram. However from the concrete problems I mentioned earlier, only Steam might have been caused by the bad ram, but he crashes/freezes might have helped to give me a unhappy feeling about Ubuntu. But I'm not the only one with this idea, Lysander6662 had the same kind of idea in this forum today. Well to DuckHook, again you are talking about Windows, I'm not interested in your ideas about Windows or Microsoft and you just proved again that you really earned the term: "fanboy". Let me explain; a fanboy is somebody who tells you how good his object of admiration is and how bad the rest of the world is. You perfectly fit that description. But maybe you can help me, elsewhere I describe a problem with an old PIII 650 Mhz, which freezes on the installation screen of all Linux distros, while XP is nicely installing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Indicating the provisioning of Microsoft, Apple and Canonical OSes and giving their puveryors' relative sizes in employees is hardly bringing fanboy-ism to bear. And it is applicable to the discussion: Ubuntu is supported by a company that employs fewer than 700 people. Giving the numbers for Microsoft provides a comparison of Ubuntu as a function (so to speak) of the number of people supporting it to another product as a function (so to speak) of the number of people supporting it.

He is demonstrating the relative "power" behind the production of Ubuntu, which is a fair consideration when discussing its quality.

I suggest that you take care to avoid calling other cookware "black" - particularly when used as an ad hominem.

I would also like to point out that your post was moved to Recurring Discussions for a reason. Nothing you have said is at all new, nor is what you have said helpful to other volunteer users here, nor still is a complaint on the Ubuntu Forums liable to affect anything the developers do because they don't bother to hang around here.

That said: I, for one, do not like Unity. I do not use it for that reason. But I find this sort of thread tiresome. Don't like Ubuntu? Don't use it. And don't complain about it to people who cannot do anything to change or improve it.

Your credibility was lost with your first post when you used faulty data from a source that itself says the data is not indicative of the popularity of any OS. Starting out with an unsubstantiated statement to the effect that Ubuntu is losing popularity did not put you in a strategically desirable location to continue your argument.

If you need help with Ubuntu or any of its official flavors, feel free to post in support areas. Bashing Ubuntu (or Windows or OS X) is not likely to endear you to those who are available to help.
    Last edited by QIII; March 7th, 2017 at 12:35 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Please stay on topic and do not make derogatory comments directed at other members or this thread will be closed!

Beans

I agree about not making derogatory comments about other members.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I don't see Ubuntu falling behind in popularity because of Linux Mint. You might be able to see my profile on the linux mint forums

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    I'm always perplexed by posts like these. ...
    I'm no longer perplexed.

Beans
    While there are new bugs with this new Gnome and Wayland setup, I'd say don't worry, I think since Ubuntu got rid of Unity that it's been heading in a better direction.

Ok... now reading this thread, in a Third World Country, Ubuntu getting much better and thusly not supporting as much old hardware, could be seen as it 'degenerating'. I see that perspective, I don't agree with it, but I see it. I mean... an old some-odd MHz Pill just... does not have that much support in 2017 at all... aside from maybe being in someone's attic or a museum or something. I mean, by the logic the author is presenting, every OS is 'degenerating'. Windows XP is definitely and never has been, better than any version of Ubuntu (at least going back to 8.04). Just... no. I think Ubuntu is now going in the best direction it has been for a while now. I thought Ubuntu was treading water with that stupid Unity and phone and tablet whatever... wasting time on that when it could've been used making Ubuntu even stronger, generally a better OS. They should've stayed with a lightweight customized version of Gnome's shell all along. Compiz going away isn't that big of a deal in the least.

I can say in the months and years to come of Ubuntu's life, and with the direction technology is going, I can foresee Ubuntu going in some promising directions. No more wasted time and effort, more productivity and advancement is to come. Who knows, maybe they'll make some breakthrough that'll shatter the competition (probably not, but hey, guy can dream).
    Last edited by vasa1; November 3rd, 2017 at 01:52 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12