Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity v GNOME

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unity v GNOME

I love Unity, however, a couple of days ago I tried GNOME out of curiosity and was fascinated by how it was radically different and a completely new way to me of thinking of a desktop environment [for me, anyway]. I appreciate Unity for its difference to Windows but this was a step further. However, one thing that didn't sell me so much was the lack of search function in the HUD, but there were many other intriguing functions.

What are peoples' experiences here of GNOME? For those who have used both, what would you say are the advantages/disadvantages of both and how would a Linux/Ubuntu n00b do in adjusting to GNOME [for the record I am very happy with Unity but am interested nevertheless].

Beans

Re: Unity v GNOME

This thread was moved from "New to Ubuntu" to this sub-forum because it isn't a specific request for help. It should be noted that A v/s B threads can become a bit heated So let us all keep things professional. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

pfftt... tiling wm or bust...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I like GNOME much better than Unity, which as I understand Unity diverged from Gnome due to Canonical and Gnome having creative differences. Ubuntu used to use Gnome, and I have always disliked Unity. The only thing I really change about the Gnome DE is that I log on with the Gnome Classic setting so that I can use the menu. I like my menus lol. You might also like Cinnamon in Linux Mint, I have that on my of my computers and my kids really like it.

My favorite right now though is KDE which I am still getting used to. I had problems with printers and webcams in Gnome that I don't get in KDE.

Nice thing about linux is that it is easy to change the OS when you want to try something new. Also, if you want to check out another Desktop Environment, before installing it directly to your pc you can test it to see if you like it by using a Virtual Machine. This is what I use https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads but some prefer VMWare. You can also even run Windows inside a Virtual Machine installed on Linux by the way.

I only have Unity on one PC which also uses OpenBox and I run a minecraft server on it so I rarely log into the Unity side. I have one pc with Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 that is rarely used anymore, my daughter has Ubuntu Gnome on her desktop too. I use Ubuntu 16.04 KDE usually. Since my kids prefer Linux Mint, I have one running Cinnamon as mentioned (also based on Gnome), and two on KDE (all 18 or 18.1)

Beans
    Distro

I am trying to find some information about the relationship of Ubuntu to GNOME. Specifically does the GNOME flavour have anything to do with Canonical anymore? And who 'started' Ubuntu? Was it started as a Debian fork by Shuttleworth working with GNOME, then the two split? I take it no-one has the 'rights' to the source code which is why GNOME is still an official flavour.

Distrowatch links Ubuntu normal to Canonical but the GNOME page has no Canonical info on it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lysander6662 View Post
    I am trying to find some information about the relationship of Ubuntu to GNOME. Specifically does the GNOME flavour have anything to do with Canonical anymore? And who 'started' Ubuntu? Was it started as a Debian fork by Shuttleworth working with GNOME, then the two split? I take it no-one has the 'rights' to the source code which is why GNOME is still an official flavour.

Distrowatch links Ubuntu normal to Canonical but the GNOME page has no Canonical info on it.
    Quick version:

Mark and Canonical has nothing to do with Gnome or the Gnome Foundation etc. except that Gnome 2.x was chosen as the default installed Desktop Environment for the official Ubuntu release. The Ubuntu releases where staggered in such a manner that they would typically feature a new release of Gnome per release (as I understand it).

When Canonical decided to do their own thing with Unity they stopped releasing with a Gnome environment as default (and eventually a Gnome-shell version was created and became an official spin).

There is a lot of information online with all of this and more...

Beans

Gnome Shell is much, much faster. Unity is somewhat easier to use (IMO). Both are bloated 3D interfaces burdened down with needless amounts of eyecandy, and both require more mousing and more keystrokes than Gnome 2 to get stuff done. They're probably great interfaces for tablets, but they're terrible for desktops, and IMHO constitute giant leaps backwards.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Wadim_Korneev View Post
    Gnome Shell is much, much faster. Unity is somewhat easier to use (IMO). Both are bloated 3D interfaces burdened down with needless amounts of eyecandy, and both require more mousing and more keystrokes than Gnome 2 to get stuff done. They're probably great interfaces for tablets, but they're terrible for desktops, and IMHO constitute giant leaps backwards.
    I am starting to agree. I haven't used GNOME 2 but I have been thinking that 3 requires a few too many manoeuvres, but I like it nevertheless. With regard to the eyecandy/bloatedness of the DEs, isn't this fine as long as your computer can handle it? Mine is very fast with Ubuntu though I imagine it wouldn't be right for older systems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Unity (currently unity7) is the best desktop on the planet currently supported in 16.04 LTS and versions previous to that and most likely , after that. Unity has been vigorously tested in the wild and in QA controlled testing. It has been hammered and hammered and hammered till it sweat gold from bare metal. UnityDE, in combination with the ubuntu kernel and all the other fine contributions from tester and developer alike is a system that is unbeatable by any other system currently on the market, whether free or commercial. Gnome3 , which I have also tested vigorously, presents itself more as 1. a toy or , 2. an executive toy plaything. It is difficult to get real work done and the razzle-dazzle wears off very quickly. Gnome 3 is good , however, as a distro to use as a test suite and it also has some amazing graphical capabilities but , for me , it always seems to break somewhere down the road.

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

There are those who would argue just the opposite: That Unity is a shiny play thing and other DEs are better for getting work done.

Unity's high graphical requirements and glossiness don't necessarily make it a good DE. They do make it "Oooh! Shiny"™!

Perhaps it is like what my grandmother used to say "A poke o' play-purties" -- a bunch of shiny things for kids to play with.

Not saying Unity is bad. I'm saying that this "My Desktop vs Your desktop" is a matter of taste and the discussions will always go in circles.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast