Thread: Importing ovpn profiles, 6+ year old bug still not fixed

Beans

Angry Importing ovpn profiles, 6+ year old bug still not fixed

I'm trying to get some serious attention on a bug that should be easy to get fixed, but guess what, hasn't been in over 6 years now.

I'm talking about : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...pn/+bug/606365

I'm on 16.10 and I STILL cannot import my ovpn configuration file, "does not support import capability". What kind of garbage is that?

How can Ubuntu be taken seriously from a security perspective if importing ovpn profiles DOESN'T EVEN WORK?

As it stands I can never get network-manager to accept my VPN configuration, even if I manually enter it. This is utter garbage.

I have to switch to Windows to be able to use my VPN, what a joke. Let's buck it up and get this fixed already, there's plenty of people who NEED this fixed, not just me.

Last edited by wildmanne39; February 19th, 2017 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Removed inapprpriate language

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Importing ovpn profiles, 6+ year old bug still not fixed

The way to get bugs fixed is to add your name to the bug report on launchpad, it does no good to complain about them here we are just volunteers here to help people who start a thread for help.

If you want help to see if anyone here can solve your issue please post in the appropriate section of the forum and leave out the complaints.

This is a link to how to file your own bug report.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
    Last edited by wildmanne39; February 19th, 2017 at 10:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans

Did you read the latest post in the bug? I suspect you didn't, because I have posted in there.

But that's irrelevant, because I'm not even close to the only person trying to get that bug fixed. How exactly is a bug like this unfixed in 6 years?

I'm posting here because I see no other way to get Canonical's attention to get this fixed, I'm doing this out of desperation. What more do you want me to do? Wait another 6 years? Get real.

I'm not saying this is specifically _your_ responsibility, but the community needs this fixed. We've seen no real indication that this bug is even being looked at, let alone a fix in the works. Hence me trying to get attention on this big, since it's clearly being ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    The way to get bugs fixed is to add your name to the bug report on launchpad, it does no good to complain about them here we are just volunteers here to help people who start a thread for help.

If you want help to see if anyone here can solve your issue please post in the appropriate section of the forum and leave out the complaints.

This is a link to how to file your own bug report.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

A couple of points.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyIron View Post
    because I have posted in there.
    Posting in a bug report with nothing substantive simply adds more noise for the developers and triagers to wade through. Did you click on the "Does this bug affect you" link? That's how to add heat to the bug.

I'm posting here because I see no other way to get Canonical's attention to get this fixed
    This is a volunteer community, including the Staff, who help each other with technical problems. We are all ordinary users of Ubuntu. Canonical employees rarely if ever visit.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I understand, I work with wireless issues and there are bugs that have been around a lot longer then that, but we created work-rounds that work and that is the best we can do.

If you want your issue resolved then please create a thread like I said and see if there is a solution that will help you but again it does no good to post here anything for the devs because they do not come here and it is just a waste of your time, you can try the link below it is all I can find since you have already added your name to the bug report as being effected too.

https://www.ubuntu.com/about/contact-us
    Last edited by wildmanne39; February 19th, 2017 at 11:07 PM.

Beans

Nothing substantive? So I guess testing it as of yesterday, and reporting the issue as still existent, that's not substantive? That is completely ridiculous. How else is anyone trying to fix the bug supposed to know it still exists? That claim just blows my mind.

Also, I checked the contact us section, and I didn't see an area that was more productive than posting in this forum. Granted, I could have missed it, so is there a specific area of the contact us section that you would recommend in this scenario?

Again, I know this isn't _speifically because of you two folks_, but that doesn't mean I'm any less ticked off that this hasn't been fixed, it doesn't even look like it's a hard thing to fix. With so many people posting in the bug report, and how long it's been going on, I don't understand why it hasn't been fixed. Again, I suspect that you two aren't necessarily responsible for that, I'm just explaining why I am upset.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Also, I checked the contact us section, and I didn't see an area that was more productive than posting in this forum. Granted, I could have missed it, so is there a specific area of the contact us section that you would recommend in this scenario?
    As I said that is all I could find so I thought you could contact them and asked if there is a way for you to talk directly with the devs besides posting on the bug report page.

Beans

I have to switch to Windows to be able to use my VPN, what a joke.
    You read the bug report, but didn't get as far as post #3, or didn't understand it?
    Running "sudo openvpn --config client.ovpn" works though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Given that this is a bug, it has been reported and we are in no position to affect a solution because we do not work for Canonical, I see no reason for this thread to take any more of anyone's time.

Closed.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.