Thread: Remind-Me program can't find its data file

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Remind-Me program can't find its data file

I run both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 16.04 on my desktop PC.

WINE is installed in Ubuntu and is working.

I run an appointment calendar program in Windows called Remind-Me.

I've also installed Remind-Me in WINE, and it boots fine.

My goal is to be able to display and edit Remind-Me in both Windows and WINE.

To do this, I must specify in the WINE start-up command line the location of the Remind-Me data file, which in Windows is:

"C:\Users\Stevie\Application Data\Remind-Me\mydata.bdy"

WINE has installed two icons on my Ubuntu desktop: "Remind-Me" and "Remind-Me.lnk."

In the "Remind-Me" icon I have gone to Properties and added the data file location to the command line thus:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/stevie/.wine" wine C:\\Program\ Files\ \(x86\)\\Remind-Me\\RemindMe.exe "/media/C:\\Users\\Stevie\\Application\ Data\\Roaming\\Remind-Me\\mydata.bdy"

Remind-Me boots but does not display the data from the data file.

Have I entered the data file location in the wrong format?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Remind-Me program can't find its data file

Yes, I believe your path to the windows files to be completely wrong.

First we have to ensure that the disk or partition with the Windows files are being mounted. Could you give the output of ls /media/$USER/ from a terminal (I hope that is the correct command, sucks when there is no Linux machine nearby)...

Beans
    Distro

The ls /media/$USER command brought nothing up, only the usual prompt, which in my system is stevie@microsteve:~$

I've already set fstab to mount all my hard drives at boot-up. Windows and Ubuntu are on the same hard drive but in different partitions.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by steve169 View Post
    The ls /media/$USER command brought nothing up, only the usual prompt, which in my system is stevie@microsteve:~$

I've already set fstab to mount all my hard drives at boot-up. Windows and Ubuntu are on the same hard drive but in different partitions.
    What is the path to your Windows partition as it isn't showing up under /media ? I assume you can access the parition from a file manager etc? You say you set up fstab to mount automatically, where are you mounting the Windows partition?

Beans
    Distro

Dear Work-Work:

Re your message "What is the path to your Windows partition as it isn't showing up under /media ? I assume you can access the parition from a file manager etc? You say you set up fstab to mount automatically, where are you mounting the Windows partition?"

1. At start-up Grub 2 gives me the choice of booting either Ubuntu (the default) or Windows 7.

2. I have 3 hard drives; one is solid state. Here are the contents of each drive:
    Drive 1 (SSD)
    Partition 1: formatted NTSF and contains the Windows 7 operating system (Drive C).

Partition 2: formatted ext4 and contains the Ubuntu 16.04 installation. It is encrypted.

Partition 3: formatted linux swap and contains Ubuntu swap files. It is encrypted.

Partition 4: formatted NTSF and contains Windows data files and a few Ubuntu data files (Drive E).
    Drive 2 (standard hard drive)
    Partition 1: formatted NTSF and contains Windows data files (Drive G).
    Drive 3 (standard hard drive)
    Partition 1: formatted NTSF and contains Windows data files (Drive F).

3. Here are the contents of my fstab file:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=ef7d3f98-eca1-430e-9cd8-5dc8d3448c6d / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
    UUID=3ca1f0c9-12fc-4063-8a89-507dcb429685 none swap sw 0 0
    # mount C
    UUID=0CE2B73AE2B7273C /media/C ntfs auto 0 0
    # mount E
    UUID=58BCDBEEBCDBC4A2 /media/E ntfs auto 0 0
    # mount F
    UUID=2ADBE8A42FE77935 /media/F ntfs auto 0 0
    # mount G
    UUID=34B6CF29B6CEEA86 /media/G ntfs auto 0 0
    Last edited by steve169; February 22nd, 2017 at 07:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok, so if you do ls /media you see all the drives C through E?

Beans
    Distro

Re your message: Ok, so if you do ls /media you see all the drives C through E?

Yes. Running ls /media shows drives C:, E:, F: and G: plus any thumb drive I might have plugged in. It also shows stevie, which is my user name in Ubuntu.
    Last edited by steve169; February 22nd, 2017 at 07:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

OK, the format you use here:

In the "Remind-Me" icon I have gone to Properties and added the data file location to the command line thus:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/stevie/.wine" wine C:\\Program\ Files\ \(x86\)\\Remind-Me\\RemindMe.exe "/media/C:\\Users\\Stevie\\Application\ Data\\Roaming\\Remind-Me\\mydata.bdy"
    I am unsure about all of the "\\" in use. In my opinion you can try changing "/media/C:\\Users\\Stevie\\Application\ Data\\Roaming\\Remind-Me\\mydata.bdy" to "/media/C/Users/Stevie/Application/Data/Roaming/Remind-Me/mydata.bdy"

(PS - To check the path open /media/C in Nautilus (File Browser) and follow the path to the mydata.bdy file, hit Ctrl+L and copy the path from Nautilus...)

Beans
    Distro

Dear work-work,

I tried your recommended command line and lots of variants, but nothing worked. Probably this application just won't function in WINE, so I'm throwing in the towel and going to a different application. Many thanks for your efforts.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by steve169 View Post
    Dear work-work,

I tried your recommended command line and lots of variants, but nothing worked. Probably this application just won't function in WINE, so I'm throwing in the towel and going to a different application. Many thanks for your efforts.
    I am sorry was not of more assistance.