Thread: Correct way to mount a shared Windows folder?

Beans

Correct way to mount a shared Windows folder?

Hi all!

I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to Ubuntu / Lubuntu, however I've managed to work out most things I've needed with the help of these forums - thanks!

One thing I am struggling with however, is setting up a reliable mount from a Windows 2003 Server. Here is what I've done so far....

We have a Windows network with Server 2003 as our Domain Controller. On here, I have a folder C:/Users being shared.

I have VirtualBox on a Windows 7 host, running Lubuntu 16.10, on the same LAN. Lubuntu has a local IP address 192.168._._ by setting VirtualBox's network adapter into Bridged mode. Unlike the Windows machines, this Lubuntu setup hasn't joined the domain - I'm not sure if this is a thing with Linux? Should I be joining the domain?

OK, next up, I've installed the cifs-utils on Lubuntu and edited the /etc/fstab file to include the line below.....

Code:
    //aimsserver/users    /mnt/Users    cifs    credentials=/home/email/.smbcredentials,defaults,users,uid=1000,rw  0  0
    When I boot Lubuntu, I get a successful mount in /mnt/Users and it all works perfectly. I've created bookmarks to subfolders within this mount to make life easier for me when i navigate to common folders, by right clicking the folder and "+ Add Bookmark".

The issue I'm having is Lubuntu seems to drop the mount and cause the machine to hang. I have to reboot Lubuntu around 4-5 times a day to restore the mount. When the machine hangs, it's pretty unusable until I reboot.

Does anyone have any idea's on what might be giving me this issue, or a better way to mount the shared folder?

Thank you in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Correct way to mount a shared Windows folder?

Sounds like a network problem of some sort. You could run a simple script on the Lubuntu machine to keep the connection alive. Here's a quick attempt:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# script to check on remote connection and restart it as needed
    CHECK=$(mount | grep /mnt/Users)

if [ "$CHECK" = "" ]
    then
         mount -t cifs -a
    fi
    exit 0
    Run this from /etc/crontab by adding a line like this
    Code:
    */5 * * * * root /path/to/script
    That runs "/path/to/script" every five minutes. If you replace "*/5" with just "*" it will run every minute.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thanks - should I try running mount -t cifs -o remount -a from terminal when it happens, before implementing this, to see if it fixes the issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Yes, though you'll need to use "sudo mount ..." and leave out the "-o remount". I edited my post to remove it because I realized that if the share isn't mounted at all, remount should not apply.

Commands invoked from /etc/crontab run with root privileges so sudo isn't required.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thank you for this. It's half solved my issue.....

If I run "sudo umount -a" when the issue happens, it will hang for about 30 seconds with the message "umount: /run/user/1000: target is busy" followed by some more busy messages. However it eventually works.

Then I run your "sudo mount -t cifs -a" and the connection is restored.

Would it just be a case of including the umount command in the script you helped me with? (If so, would you mind helping me with that?)

Thank you again!