Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Beans

Exclamation E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I am trying to use the command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    and it keeps returning with this error:

Code:
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 4.4.0-59-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-59-genericrun-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub 4.4.0-59-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-59-generic
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-4.4.0-62-generic_4.4.0-62.83_amd64.deb
     /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-4.4.0-59-generic_4.4.0-59.80_amd64.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Kindly advise.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Try running command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    to remove cached packages from /var/cache/apt/archives which could be corrupt, then try reinstalling the three packages mentioned in your error with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall initramfs-tools linux-image-4.4.0-62-generic_4.4.0-62.83_amd64.deb linux-image-4.4.0-59-generic_4.4.0-59.80_amd64.deb
    Come back again if that does not help.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Hi ajgreeny,
    Thanks for the reply. I did both commands and the second command outputted this
    Code:
    E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-image-4.4.0-62-generic_4.4.0-62.83_amd64.deb'E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-image-4.4.0-62-generic_4.4.0-62.83_amd64.deb'
    E: Unable to locate package linux-image-4.4.0-59-generic_4.4.0-59.80_amd64.deb
    E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-image-4.4.0-59-generic_4.4.0-59.80_amd64.deb'
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-image-4.4.0-59-generic_4.4.0-59.80_amd64.deb'

Beans
    Hidden!

Whoops! My bad.

It should have been just linux-image 4.4.0-59-generic and linux-image 4.4.0-62-generic without the ending part of _4.4.0-62.83_amd64.deb of each of those.

Sorry about that so try again; I am assuming from your comment that the initramfs-tools did reinstall OK?
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Hi ajgreeny,
    I tried the same commands again but without the ending part of _4.4.0-62.83_amd64.deb.

It output this:
    Code:
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
    Sorry I am very newbie at this, and have never done this before.
    Thanks for the reply.

Beans

I will actually post more of the error, sorry I cut it in half.

Code:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies: initramfs-tools : Depends: initramfs-tools-core (= 0.122ubuntu8.8) but 0.122ubuntu8.5 is to be installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Beans

OK ajgreeny,
    I have gotten somewhere with your previous post;

Try running command

Code:
    sudo apt-get clean

to remove cached packages from /var/cache/apt/archives which could be corrupt, then try reinstalling the three packages mentioned in your error with

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall initramfs-tools linux-image-4.4.0-62-generic_4.4.0-62.83_amd64.deb linux-image-4.4.0-59-generic_4.4.0-59.80_amd64.deb

Come back again if that does not help.
    I tried it again with the same command and without the _4.4.0-62.83_amd64.deb.

This time it says

Code:
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     initramfs-tools : Depends: initramfs-tools-core (= 0.122ubuntu8.8) but 0.122ubuntu8.5 is to be installed

Does this provide any more/enough information?

Beans
    Hidden!

Have you run the command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    before trying all those other commands, as it looks as if you have not got the most recent package list in your system and therefore it is possible the OS is not fully updated.
    Run the update/upgrade command and then try the other commands again.

Once again, sorry for that omission, but I assumed, probably wrongly, that you would do that automatically.
    That is one of the problems of being a long time Ubuntu user; I tend to forget that new users will not do this if not told to do so.

Beans

It's okay haha. I am only 14 and trying to learn it so I can hopefully do something with my life lol...

Anyways, I do that and it outputs yet again ANOTHER error (ffs):

Code:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies: linux-image-extra-4.4.0-59-generic : Depends: linux-image-4.4.0-59-generic but it is not installed
     linux-image-extra-4.4.0-62-generic : Depends: linux-image-4.4.0-62-generic but it is not installed
     linux-image-generic : Depends: linux-image-4.4.0-62-generic but it is not installed
                           Recommends: thermald but it is not installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
    Thanks for replying .

Beans

P.S: When I do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    it does all of the shenanigans with installing it and outputs:

Code:
    dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-4.4.0-59-generic_4.4.0-59.80_amd64.deb (--unpack): cannot copy extracted data for './boot/System.map-4.4.0-59-generic' to '/boot/System.map-4.4.0-59-generic.dpkg-new': failed to write (No space left on device)
    dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 4.4.0-59-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-59-generic
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub 4.4.0-59-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-59-generic
    Preparing to unpack .../libapt-pkg5.0_1.2.19_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking libapt-pkg5.0:amd64 (1.2.19) over (1.2.15ubuntu0.2) ...
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu5) ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-4.4.0-62-generic_4.4.0-62.83_amd64.deb
     /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-4.4.0-59-generic_4.4.0-59.80_amd64.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast